Personal Bankruptcy ex husband held harmless on mortgage - avoid him suing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawdeal

I divorced last year after 14 years of marriage--my ex had a pattern of lying and cheating and stopped working. I worked incessantly--same job for 15 years. We refinanced our house two months before he left--all equity out, he said he would pay second. He left. I kept the house with all its debt. My attorney said I had to include hold harmless in divorce agreement. No assets to fight over. Now, in addition to the house being overvalued and all equity pulled out to pay mutual credit cards before he left, the housing market crash has meant no one will buy. It's overvalued at least 100,000. I'm told now by my bankruptcy attorney that because of a 2005 change in the laws (they didn't realize this when they first advised me to bankrupt several months ago) he can sue and the court won't discharge the bankruptcy until he is cleared. Initially, they told me he would be listed as a creditor and the debt discharged. Is this true? What can I do? He is a pathological liar, a womanizer and lazy. I've always tried to do the right thing, and now I'm told he can garnish my wages if the hold harmless isn't removed from the divorce agreement. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back