Ex-girlfriend left furniture behind

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyBoosh

When we moved in together, her mother gave us a nice dining table as a gift. We split up and she moved out about 2 years ago. Our memories of what was decided regarding that table differ: I say I asked her if she was going to take and she said no / She says never intended to GIVE it to me, rather just leave it here, in my closet, until she wanted it back.

She asked for it back recently (after no mention of it for 2 years) but I had already given it as a gift to a friend.

I did not sign a new lease once she moved out, but I did inform my landlord and I have receipts for rent payment - if that matters. Does she forfeit her right to anything left behind after 30 days or something like that?

30 days is a good number, longer is better, but the judge will want to know more about the agreements you've made with her.

I'd say that if your ex-girlfriend didn't mention a table for over a year, it's pretty clear she either abandoned it or didn't care to recover the table. That would be my argument to support the case that it's yours. She would have to sue you and prove her case and that might prove to be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back