Consumer Law, Warranties Ex girlfriend agreed to pay me monthly

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabipir

I recently found out my girlfriend was cheating on me. We were best friends for 14 years before we started dating and dated for 3 yrs for a total of 17 yrs of "friendship". Earlier in 2010 we planned a three week vacation to drive up the west coast and went on the vacation in September of 2010. I found out, the day we got back, she had been cheating on me for most of the time that we planned our vacation. I spent $6000 on the vacation and lost 3 weeks of work. I'm a sub-contractor, so I don't get paid vacations. The coming months after our vacation is my slow time at work, which she was aware of and the only reason I could spend that amount is because I knew she could help me when I needed money to get through the slow time. She told me she would pay me $250 a month, during my slow time, to help with my truck note and now refuses to pay. After our breakup I fell into a depression and had to seek the help of a psychiatrist. I go to a hospital that charges a reduced rate for people with no insurance, but because of my situation with work it's still money I don't have to spend. I'm wondering if I can sue her for the money I spent on the vacation, $6000, and the money I lost from not working those 3 weeks, which is about another $3000, since she knew our relationship was ending even though she gave no signs of it ending. She also admitted to me, when I found out, that she had a problem with cheating and said she needed professional help to get over her sickness. I'm also wondering if I can hold her to the verbal agreement we had for her paying me $250 a month. Also, can I sue her for mental anguish since her actions are what caused my depression.

You can sue her. Heck, you can sue anyone you'd like. The problem for you is that such a suit against her for the reasons you outlined above won't go anywhere.

You have no basis on which to sue her. "Stuff" happens in some relationships, some bad "stuff", such as the "stuff" you reported. That doesn't rise to the level of tortious conduct, however. But, don't despair, you couldn't sue her and WIN, even if you had been married to her.

I wish you well, my friend. Forget that cow. She's another dude's problem now. One day you'll be glad you learned the truth about that beast before you married her.

Yep, you got hosed.
When it gets down to it, she doesn't owe you a dime. It would be nice of her to cough up the $250 she promised, but she isn't under any obligation to pay it, and you won't be able to force her to pay anything.
You won't find any help from the court over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back