Ex boyfriend won't pay for equity in truck now that he has a loan on it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazwell220

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to put it.

- The car is registered in California with my name in the first position and his is in the second position. (Not sure if that matters or not.)

- I've paid every penny of the payment, the insurance and the registration which I can document via bank statements.

- He just paid off the original loan with a new loan in his name, but now won't pay me for the almost $10k in equity for the car.

- I have not signed myself off the registration as of yet.

- Do I still have a legal right to sell the car at this point or did I shoot myself in the foot?

Any help would be extremely welcomed as I don't know what to do at this point.

Amanda

The key to your questions is a matter of ownership and title, not registration.

Firstly, is there a lien against the vehicle?

Secondly, did you or your Ex receive the title after paying off the original loan? And, was a new lienholder added?

Thirdly, if the title is free and clear (no lienholder), who's names are on it, and how is it written? For Example:

Amanda AND Ex

Amanda OR Ex

That wording makes a difference in what you can or cannot do with the vehicle. Of course, if your Ex put a single penny towards the vehicle, then he has some rights to it. So regardless of who is on title, actual ownership could possibly be disputed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back