eviction/roommate help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrc89

Hello

Here is the background of my story:

I am from Maryland but I attend school in Philadelphia. I commuted my first semester but decided to stay in Philadelphia my second semester. I moved in with a friend in Jan and was added to the lease that ended in may. My friend didn't know if you wanted to come back the next year so she extended automatic renewal time and so the lease was not automatically renewed in April. She eventually decided to come back and so the lease was renewed. I was under the impression that I was to be added to the lease again like before so I didn't realize it was an issue when I told her that I wasn't coming back for the next school year. I officially moved everything out within 2 weeks after the lease end date. My roommate doesn't want another roommate and I can't afford to pay the rent. Now, she was just given the eviction notice. (3 day warning). I am unemployed student and I don't know her exact situation but I don't think she will be able to afford the full amount. I was just wondering what is the best plan of action to handle this. I don't want her to get evicted but neither of us can afford it and the landlord has not been helpful for the past 5 months in trying to figure out a solution. I also should mention that I did pay the rent for the months of August, September, and October. There are other singles available in the building but they are not letting her move in . I was just wondering if there was a way to make a deal with the landlord, what is the best way to bring it up. Thanks so much for any advice

Hi thanks for the response. I was looking for some type of extension to buy time to find another roommate. My previous roommate and I just figured out how to take care of the situation for this month's rent but this same situation will happen again in December.

Basically I am looking for a way to get my name off the lease (by way of another roommate or sub- lease) or by some other way that would not negatively affect my roommate who is currently living there. The lease does not end until May (I believe) and I know that I will not have the funds to pay for it. So I am asking what should I do?

Hi thanks for the response. I was looking for some type of extension to buy time to find another roommate. My previous roommate and I just figured out how to take care of the situation for this month's rent but this same situation will happen again in December.

Basically I am looking for a way to get my name off the lease (by way of another roommate or sub- lease) or by some other way that would not negatively affect my roommate who is currently living there. The lease does not end until May (I believe) and I know that I will not have the funds to pay for it. So I am asking what should I do?

You should discuss this with your landlord.

If you have six months left, for example, sometimes landlords will let you out of the lease for paying three months, or four months.

If that happens, get it in writing and signed.

The problem with getting someone to substitute for you, is what it that person defaults, or stops paying?

Usually the other person and you are back on the hook.

You need to bargain and negotiate with the landlord.

But, be prepared for things to go okay for a month or two, and something goes wrong.

Why?

Because people that find to do these kinds of deals are usually people with problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back