Eviction rights for an exgirl friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

RozieD

Jurisdiction
New Mexico
I recently moved into a one bedroom condo my boyfriend bought. This condo is on a property that also has a home owners association. He was originally going to use it as a bed and breakfast to generate extra income. However a situation arose and the place I was living and suddenly had to move out . He proposed that I move in to his condo and I agreed to pay him what I could weekly up to$1000 a month. Which is what an extended stay hotel would run about.
Although average rent in the area for that size apt runs about$500-600 tops.
I immediately started giving him cash for payment on the condo and since we were dating trusted him and did not ask for a receipt.
We had a verbal informal agreement about how much rent would be paid. Unfortunately we never got around to signing a lease. The first month I lived there he agreed to not take more than $900 for the unit which I paid to him in cash on a weekly basis.
We did however notified the office that I would be the tenant in this unit which they were ok with. They asked my name and wrote it down for thier records. I did not have an id at the time because my wallet had been stolen so they asked to give them a copy when I got a new one and to give them a copy of the lease. Which was never drawn up.
I tried to get a mail box key but the post office requires a lease with my name on it before I can receive mail to that mailbox. I have not gotten a new id because I have no address it can be mailed to.
I have only lived in the condo about 7 weeks. The second month work started to slow down and I had aquired some health issues that prevented me from working. Because of these medical issues I have not been able to make enough money to pay what we had talked about. During one of our conversations he told me he would be fine with me making$100 a week payment to him. Since he wasn't trying to get rock off me and wanted to help me since his first mortgage payment isn't due until Jan.
Not long after that we had a falling out and decided to stop seeing eachother. Other personal issues had come up that created strife in or relationship. So we broke up.
I had not worried too much about the rent since he said I could give him$100 per week and I had already given him$300 toward the rent the second month.
Suddenly I get a message from him saying that I had until the next day to give him$500 for what I owed him in back rent or I would be out of there.
I have not given him any other money toward the rent. I am still suffering from viral bug bites that are appearing all over my body creating rash, uncontrollable itching , red bumps and hives which are assumed to be highly contagious. And since my job requires close physical interaction has inabled me to work.
Now he is threatening to have me removed by the sheriff and has given me 7 days to find another place and move out.
He did offer to move me to an extended stay hotel which I declined because of various reasons such as cost and lack of income at the present time. Also I am tied of moving around since I've moved 6 times this year already. And the purpose of him offering this place to me was to offer me some stability.
I would just like to know what my rights are as a tenant and as a girl friend in an informal living arrangement with this man.
He has not given me written notice beside s av text saying that I do not have permission to be in premises and must evacuate immediately and that I am trespassing on this property. Which is totally ridiculous since he gave me the key and told me this was my place now.
What are my chances of winning an eviction? Is he able to just bring a sheriff and have me removed for trespassing? I'm just curious what my right s are in this case.
Thank you
RozieD

Sooner or later he can have you evicted.

An eviction before the court will also cause you other issues, which you wish to avoid.

I suggest you leave under your own free will before all of your business gets exposed in open court and THE YOU KNOW WHO come to take you away for the other crime you're committing.

Ok. That doesn't answer my question. And I have no idea what you are talking about. You don't know me at all so I don't know why you would assume something like that.

I asked about my rights under New Mexico law. Any other crime your speaking of is unaware to me.

Who may I ask is offering this advice? I think I already know by your statement because only one person would incinate something like that. I already know basically my rights. Eventually yes he can evict me, or he could be working with me like he agreed to from the beginning. Which in my opinion is the best option for both of us. But some people want to be stubborn and want to make things harder than they have to be. But since he has done this to me in the past I think I'm going to take the risk just to prove that people don't always have to put up with being bullied.

Who may I ask is offering this advice? I think I already know by your statement because only one person would incinate something like that. I already know basically my rights. Eventually yes he can evict me, or he could be working with me like he agreed to from the beginning. Which in my opinion is the best option for both of us. But some people want to be stubborn and want to make things harder than they have to be. But since he has done this to me in the past I think I'm going to take the risk just to prove that people don't always have to put up with being bullied.

You think I care?

You're wrong.

Whatever happens to you, happens to you.

None of my business.

Maybe someone else might help you, I'm done.

He may ultimately have you evicted, but you do not have to go by the timeline he demands. An eviction comes from the court and he will have to file, wait for his hearing, present his argument, then wait awhile more. This is assuming he does it right and doesn't have to start the process over at some point.
You don't want it to go that far. You should be making plans to move as soon as possible, but don't be forced out by his deadlines.
Your rights are the same as any other tenant. The status of your relationship is irrelevant.
Google " New Mexico tenant rights" to get any idea of the legalities involved.
Do yourself a favor and don't wait too long and force the eventual eviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back