Eviction Notice- occupant not primary resident

Asif Noor

Hi, I rented an apartment in 2010 where I lived in with my parents. I moved out in 2012 but my parents are living there since then. I pay the rent but live in a separate house now. I just got a notice that since I'm not the occupant, my parents have to evacuate the house. Do I have a legal ground to defend this eviction.

Do I have a legal ground to defend this eviction.

I don't see any basis upon which you could successfully defend the eviction, OP.

The mere filing of an eviction action can haunt you and curse your existence for decades, along with a negative impact of 200 to 300 points against your FICO.

ATTN: For other responders, the OP is posting from or near Plainview, NY.

You can't stop the eviction, but they can't be forced out without an eviction. You don't want that to happen. They should leave as soon as possible.

I just got a notice that since I'm not the occupant, my parents have to evacuate the house. Do I have a legal ground to defend this eviction.

There is no eviction yet. It's only a notice of termination of a tenancy at will. Perfectly legal. Nothing to fight. And you certainly don't want an eviction through the court.

Though I suggest you talk to the property owner and see if he is willing to keep your parents as tenants if they sign a lease.

Do I have a legal ground to defend this eviction.

Depends on the terms of the lease. Most residential leases I have seen prohibit anyone other than the person(s) named on the lease from occupying the premises for more than X straight days or more than Z days per month. So...what does your lease say? Also, what does "not primary resident" mean in the subject header of your post?

Back