eviction - grace period

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleebeckham

If I do not show up to my trial and the judge finds in favor of my landlord to evict, can they remove me and my stuff immediately or do I still get 10 days to pay or vacate?

At the court hearing, if the tenant wins, the tenancy continues. If the tenant loses, the tenant has ten days to pay the past due rent, settle the dispute, or vacate the premises.

After ten days (or the date set by the court), if the tenant has not vacated, a writ of restitution is issued by the court commanding the sheriff or other authorized court officer to serve the process and restore the landlord (plaintiff) to full possession of the premises. Be advised, it could be ten days, or a date set by the court. It might be a bit longer before the writ of restitution issues.

(NOTE) If you live in public or subsidized housing the landlord, different rules may apply - for both the tenant and landlord.

You wont likely be put out immediately, but it sounds like you better get things in order and make some plans. Typically you have ten days, but since you wont be at the hearing to know how long you have you should treat each day as your last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back