Eviction for differing in beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabian2ooo

We are renting a space in a locale. We've decided not to continue congregate at the same church as the person renting us the locale. Therefore, the person said we cannot continue to rent the space anymore as she won't feel comfortable with us anymore. I've never faltered in payments or caused any problems but she now wants us to just close business and go. We've already paid this month's rent so we're not worried, but what if she does not want to accept next month's rent? Do we really have to close shop and leave and loose all my customers and money invested in creating the business? We're almost sure she would try to continue offering the services we are currently offering if we had to go.

Hi Gail, thanks for replying. No - we do not have a lease contract with her. She has a lease from the landlor. But in getting into the lease, she did not have enough money to cover the rent so she offered to sub-rent us a small portion of the locale. She paid the downpayment for the place, and together we put to fix up the place. We just made a simple written agreement that we would pay a certain amount of this and that, etc which we have complied with to present date. Total cost of locale is 3000, we paid what she had requested - 750.00 and a third party pays about the same. She occupies 2/3 of the place and the other 1/3 is divided between the 3rd party and ourselves.

It would appear from your posting that you have a "tenancy at will" or a month to month lease (because you do not have a written lease specifying the time period when the lease begins or ends).

Month to month tenancies can be terminated by either party, usually with just a 30 day notice. No reason for the termination need be given. Some states require a longer notice. If you'll list your state, I'll look this up.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back