Ever Heard of This

Jurisdiction
Texas
While in jail my wife hired an attorney to represent me. After being paid he sent a contract for me to sign for his services. One of the items included was that he was allowed to accept money from a third party concerning my case, but that it would not interfere with my representation. What the hell is that? It sounds like he wants me to allow him to be bribed or that the more money he is paid by an unnamed party (easier to hide) the more likely the case will be dismissed or acquitted. Second item was his representation ended with a dismissal, no bill, setting for pre-trial hearing, or trial setting. Isn't that pretty much saying I don't have an attorney? Third item was that I agreed that he had earned half the fee upon his letter of representation and the other half was to be considered earned if he got discovery or had any communication with Prosecutor concerning my case. May not seem like much but $15,000.00 is a lot if if you don't have it to spare, for someone to send a form across the street letting them know you were screwing (representing) someone and handwriting on it requesting discovery. He hasn't done anything else. Lastly it states that if i have any complaints that I cannot say anything derogatory about him and any legal action has to be handled in the same jurisdiction he practices in.
How do you handle something like this? I found out later that he had told my wife she needed to hire him right then so he could get me out of jail because he knew how they did things in that particular jail and that I was probably in solitary and the were harassing me and most likely being beat up. Being scared she immediately hired him. He hasn't filed a single motion, no investigation has been done, he can't even tell me what his strategy is for my defense. I can't afford another attorney so what can I do.

While in jail my wife hired an attorney to represent me. After being paid he sent a contract for me to sign for his services. One of the items included was that he was allowed to accept money from a third party concerning my case, but that it would not interfere with my representation. What the hell is that? It sounds like he wants me to allow him to be bribed or that the more money he is paid by an unnamed party (easier to hide) the more likely the case will be dismissed or acquitted. Second item was his representation ended with a dismissal, no bill, setting for pre-trial hearing, or trial setting. Isn't that pretty much saying I don't have an attorney? Third item was that I agreed that he had earned half the fee upon his letter of representation and the other half was to be considered earned if he got discovery or had any communication with Prosecutor concerning my case. May not seem like much but $15,000.00 is a lot if if you don't have it to spare, for someone to send a form across the street letting them know you were screwing (representing) someone and handwriting on it requesting discovery. He hasn't done anything else. Lastly it states that if i have any complaints that I cannot say anything derogatory about him and any legal action has to be handled in the same jurisdiction he practices in.
How do you handle something like this? I found out later that he had told my wife she needed to hire him right then so he could get me out of jail because he knew how they did things in that particular jail and that I was probably in solitary and the were harassing me and most likely being beat up. Being scared she immediately hired him. He hasn't filed a single motion, no investigation has been done, he can't even tell me what his strategy is for my defense. I can't afford another attorney so what can I do.

You have three options, and they're all time consuming.

1-You can file a complaint with the state bar. If your wife's testimony is believed, you have a good shot at getting some of that retainer returned. However, bar complaints take time.

2-You can talk to other attorneys, hoping to get one to substitute in, and seek to receive apportion of the retainer back to you, so you can pay your new counsel. That's a Hail Mary, mate.

3-I smell shenanigans, hijinks, and trickeration. This is done when the county wants to stick it someone. It's very hard to prove, even though you smell the stench and see the pile of poo. This is a miracle sent down by the Holy Hand of God.

Back