Ethical Advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

SienaVizsla

Is it ethical for lawyers to offer a guarantee?

I was about to hire a law firm to have my criminal record expunged. But a friend told me that the firm's guarantee was unethical. Is it? Should I be concerned?

I cannot afford to pay for expungment twice.

-Siena
California

Q: Is it unethical for lawyers to offer a guarantee?

A: Yes, it is unethical.

For example:

Advertisements and public communications, whether in law lists, telephone directories, newspapers, other forms of print media, television or radio, should be formulated to convey only information that is necessary to make an appropriate selection. Such information includes: (1) office information, such as name, including name of law firm and names of professional associates; addresses; telephone numbers; credit card acceptability; fluency in foreign languages; and office hours; (2) relevant biographical information; (3) description of the practice, but only by using designations and definitions authorized by [the agency having jurisdiction of the subject under state law], for example, one or more fields of law in which the lawyer or law firm practices; a statement that practice is limited to one or more fields of law; and/or a statement that the lawyer or law firm specializes in a particular field of law practice, but only by using designations, definitions and standards authorized by [the agency having jurisdiction of the subject under state law]; and (4) permitted fee information. Self-laudation should be avoided.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/aba/mcpr/MCPR.HTM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back