Estate Executor will NOT close out the Estate

Juinta

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
Our mother's estate has been in probate for over 3 years. 10 months ago, a judged in favor the FSA (Family settlement agreement) but did not (inadvertently, imo) did not establish a deadline for Executor to complete the task. Each heir (4 of us) was designated approx $70k.

5 months later, The Exec, through her Attorney, paid us off $65K and held back $20k to pay any, in their words "unforeseen costs plus any taxes.

flash forward 5 months (today), Exec and her Attorney have said they "paid the taxes" but will not send copies to any heir...plus they're still holding back our $20k

Basically, the Exec and her Attorney have gone "dark"....not returning emails/ph calls, etc. Get an Attorney..."right", I know you'll all say that...unfortunately my Attorney retired and I just dont' want to have to start over again with a new one (plus deal with the cost).

What can be dont to force the issue and get Estate settled? Threaten them with fidicuary derelict of duites?. I'm at my wits end

Thank you

I noticed some grammical (sp) errors:

-10 mo. ago, a judge ruled in favor of the FSA.
- judge did not establish a deadline for total settlement of estate
- Both Exec and her Attorney ignore all requests for updates, copy of taxes and final payment to Heirs
- it appears that both Exec and Attorney will not proceed further in hopes that the Heirs give up or forget the remaining $20k

You (either individually or all the heirs collectively) can hire an attorney to attempt to get the exec and his/her attorney moving. That will cost you money and will also deplete the remaining $20k. Since each of the four of you is only to receive $5k, it's not likely worth the cost to do anything other than wait it out.

Back