English property law

Status
Not open for further replies.

skanxz65

My mother owns her house but no longer wants to live on her own and is going to move in with me and my family, she is going to let her house and pay me the rent to cover all her bills, food and living expenses. She was going to let her house through a property agent but my brother has said he will rent her house and she would save on agents fees. Now he is saying he wants to pay the rent direct to me in cash as he says she will forget to pay us.
Now my brother is not the most trustworthy of people and has conned my mother in the past but he is the golden boy and she just doesn't see it. My question is if my brother is living in my mothers house without a rental agreement and paying the rent in cash so there is no proof that he has been paying rent what could the legal implications be, i.e. if he stops paying rent or my mother dies or could he have some kind of claim on her house whilst my mother is living or deceased.
Thanks for any replies.

You'll need an UK forum. This one only deals with US law. :beer:

Don't rent her house without a written, signed by ALL parties lease agreement.
If he doesn't pay, she'll have to evict him.
If he won't sign the lease agreement, advise mom not to rent to him.
In the end, mom might not pay you, because brother might not pay her. If that happens, mom will have trouble getting him out, and getting paid.

Your best bet is let mom stay right where she is (IN HER OWN HOME), let her take her son in to live with her.

That way, your feelings and finances don't take a hit.
Your issue is more about common sense than it is about law. A signed piece of paper doesn't mean a deadbeat will live up to his word.

You can support mom better by not taking her out of her home, and experiencing him disappoint her and you.
If mom wants to help the golden boy, let her do so. Don't you get suckered into their little charade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back