Endangerment to children

Status
Not open for further replies.

aperu07

I work at a gymnastics gym in Arizona and we recently moved to a new location. After a couple months of being here we started building our foam pit which consisted of digging a ten foot hole in the ground for about a week. During the time that the hole was being dug we were required to work all our regular shifts to clean the dust that would settle on the mats. Even though they had the crane running in the building and the dust was thick, we still had to work. A few months later one of the employees who was here the most caught valley fever which is ONLY contracted from deep soil so people get in when they dig holes and is very fatal. Would the gym owner be responsible for paying his medical bills since all the employees pointed out that it was not healthy for us to be in the gym?

After I learned of my co-workers illness, I asked the gym manager and office manager on two seperate occasions if we should notify the parents of the incident so they can get their kids tested if they show any symptoms, the problem is with valley fever there are many occasions where symptoms don't occur. Both managers said no because we would start a panic and lose kids. I personally feel if my child's life was potentially in jeopardy I would want to know and I know it's their right to know. I eventually reported in incident to OSHA so they can conduct an investigation. My next question is if, God forbid, a child dies of valley fever, would the gym be liable since this is the only likely place they contracted it and would my co-workers get in trouble for not reporting to OSHA as well? And if my boss fires me for reporting the incident which I strongly believe he will, do I have a case for wrongful termination? Or is my job protected? Please help! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back