employment theft

Colesgramma13

Jurisdiction
West Virginia
i was accused on dec 21st of stealing 3200 dollars of merchandise and cash they had me write a statement that i would pay it back and also i was never questioned about the theft by police or any law enforcement. i was told i would be contacted to make payment arrangements and it is now jan `13 and have never heard anything from either the law enforcement or the company. is it possible that they can and are still going to arrest me. what legal grounds can i take. i have not returned to the store since i have been accused of this and terminated

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. No one can answer that for you sorry. Yes its possible is best anyone can do

how long do they have

Months, if not years.
It depends on how it's charged, if the authorities decide to charge the person.

As the police weren't involved, it's more likely they won't become involved at this late debt.

If the police do appear and want to discuss the incident, the person should politely say, "Sorry, I wish to avail myself of my RIGHT to remain silent. I need an attorney to advise me further, thank you."

No matter what the police might say or do, be polite, remain calm, and say nothing about the INCIDENT.

If this ALLEGED theft was ALLEGEDLY committed by an EMPLOYEE, I'll GUESS you might be charged.

Generally, LARGE employee thefts tend to be prosecuted.

In Texas, for example, the prosecutor would take the case to the grand jury to seek a felony indictment.

That process takes two to three months in the more populous counties.

In the rural counties, it could be done within one to two weeks.

I suspect WV functions similarly.

So, prepare to use my advice typed above.

REMAIN SILENT.
ASK FOR A PUBLIC DEFENDER.
GET YOUR BAIL MONEY AND AFFAIRS IN ORDER WHILE YOU WAIT.

army judge i was never questioned. I was told to sign a paper that i would make payment to pay them back and also was told to write that i did not take the money but i was manager on duty in the paper and i have not heard nothing since dec 21

army judge i was never questioned. I was told to sign a paper that i would make payment to pay them back and also was told to write that i did not take the money but i was manager on duty in the paper and i have not heard nothing since dec 21

Even if you did sign something, from this point forward say nothing about this event to anyone.

If you are prosecuted, then talk ONLY to your criminal defense attorney.

Don't worry about what you may have said, or written, as your lawyer will address that for you, IF this gets nasty!

Back