Employment Contract Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi;

I've been offered a position in an IT consulting firm for which I need to relocate to a province in Canada. I noticed the following in the contract:

- the contract is titled "Employment Confirmation Letter"
- there is no section pertaining to Probationary or Notice period
- and no one has signed it. I was just asked to sign it as a form of acceptance.I did ask once before for a signed copy and the only thing they did was to change the contract from "Conditional Offer of Employment" where " Client Acceptance for the First assignment" was set as condition to the contract above as mentioned without this condition. I've had interview with the client and was accepted by them.

PS. Saskatchewan is the home base for this company. Does that mean anything in legal terms?

Considering this form of contract is new to me and it will cost a lot to relocate, I would appreciate if you could let me know if any of the above is objectionable?

Thanks.

Your best bet any time a contract is involved is to take it to an attorney for his/her opinion. This may not even be an actual contract but just a confirmation letter.

Hi;

I've been offered a position in an IT consulting firm for which I need to relocate to a province in Canada. I noticed the following in the contract:

- the contract is titled "Employment Confirmation Letter"
- there is no section pertaining to Probationary or Notice period
- and no one has signed it. I was just asked to sign it as a form of acceptance.I did ask once before for a signed copy and the only thing they did was to change the contract from "Conditional Offer of Employment" where " Client Acceptance for the First assignment" was set as condition to the contract above as mentioned without this condition. I've had interview with the client and was accepted by them.

PS. Saskatchewan is the home base for this company. Does that mean anything in legal terms?

Considering this form of contract is new to me and it will cost a lot to relocate, I would appreciate if you could let me know if any of the above is objectionable?

Thanks.

If you're smart, just a little smarter than a person who isn't SMART, you won't sign the letter, take the job, or move.

You're setting yourself up for a potential let down, a very expensive let down
But, speak to a lawyer, have the letter reviewed and get the lawyer's legal opinion.
Mine is, which I rarely offer, it's not a contract.
It's a garden variety offer letter.
It promises you no protection, and you'll simply be working at the pleasure of your potential employer.
It might work out, it might not.

Besides, Saskatchewan isn't the warmest, or the most pleasant province in Canada.

This is not a message board isue, this is a lawyer issue. You need one well versed in Canadian contract law. Only a lawyer who has reviewed the document can tell you if it forms a binding contract and what portions if any might be legally binding.

I don't think anyone on this board is an expert on Canadian law, which is what you need. You should seek out an attorney, preferably in Saskatchewan, email them the contract and ask their opinion. Most lawyers in the United States would do this for a nominal fee, certainly nothing compared to the relocation costs you are risking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back