Employment Agreement Review and Modification

dguill0

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
Sought legal advice from an employment attorney regarding an employment agreement with a potential employer, specifically seeking how to modify a section of the agreement related to outside business interest. The attorney requested the agreed upon legal fee of $250 in advance of our meeting, that amount being his quoted hourly rate, which I paid.

We met via an online conference session, during which time he reviewed the agreement and provided specific verbiage for modifying the document. I was always taught to get everything in writing; so, the next day (it was near the end of the business day when we virtually met), I sent a confirmation email, containing the specific modification verbiage that the attorney had verbally provided. He responded to my email as follows: "Not the way I would word it. I will agree to provide further legal services to you at my hourly rate of $300.00 per hour."

Although the attorney is aware of the time-sensitive nature of the agreement--that my potential employer is waiting for the modified agreement as my start date is quickly approaching—he is not responded to my voice or email message asking to speak with him about the matter. In the meantime, the employer is calling and emailing me regarding the document and I believe I am at risk of the offer being rescinded.

Is it unreasonable for me to expect the modification verbiage for a legal contract to be provided in written form to ensure accuracy? Is it customary for an employment attorney to verbally provide such verbiage and consider it a separate (and more costly) legal service to verify it in writing? Please help ... What should I do?

he is not responded to my voice or email message asking to speak with him about the matter.

Until you say yes to the $300 per hour fee, he has no obligation to "speak" to you about anything.

He did what you paid him to do and he's done.

Is it unreasonable for me to expect the modification verbiage for a legal contract to be provided in written form to ensure accuracy?

You bought yourself an online conversation, you got an online conversation. It's unreasonable to expect anything else. If you wanted something in writing you should have asked for it before paying.

Is it customary for an employment attorney to verbally provide such verbiage and consider it a separate (and more costly) legal service to verify it in writing?

What is "customary" is the deal you paid for. It doesn't matter what happens in the rest of the world.

What should I do?

Either agree to the additional fees or use the wording you wrote down from the conversation.

Until you say yes to the $300 per hour fee, he has no obligation to "speak" to you about anything.

He did what you paid him to do and he's done.

You bought yourself an online conversation, you got an online conversation. It's unreasonable to expect anything else. If you wanted something in writing you should have asked for it before paying.

What is "customary" is the deal you paid for. It doesn't matter what happens in the rest of the world.

Either agree to the additional fees or use the wording you wrote down from the conversation.
After posting this question, I was able to speak with another employment attorney. While I appreciate your quick response, it differs GREATLY from the insight furnished.

Back