Employer sent Police to kick in my door!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

letgoletgod

Ive been employed at this private retail company for 2 years..The company is known throughout the community for prejudice and discrimination. I dont want to say too much that will affect my case, but here it goes...Ive heard that throughout the past 20 years, this company has had problems with inventory control..This comes from gliches in the system and past employees stealing. But, it has been an uncontrollable issue at work..I was the ONLY "black" office worker in a group of 6..I had access and control to many records and files. It was VERY obvious that favoritism was shown to one particular white worker. Even though i had the seniority. When there were random drug screens, i was the only one picked. 3 months ago, i recieved a phone call from the police stating that he wants to interview me and random employees concerning missing inventory from my company..Again, i was the only one out the office to go..I did nothing wrong!!!! I did what was asked and i answered all questions truthfully..Last week, i awoke to police kicking in my door! They stated that they had a search warrant for my bedroom group...They begin to ramshack and search my entire house! I was terrified! I didnt know what was going on so i refused to answer any questions because i did not have a lawyer present. The police called my employer to my home to verify that my bed was stolen. The police went through alot of papers that i have lying around the house, They claim that they found invoices that is used to pick up items from the store...Sometimes, when i pick up at the end of the day..I found where i mistakenly mixed maybe one or two company tickets in with my paperwork, because i do alot of school work during my free time. Anyway, the company accused me of stealing the bed and also added the retail vaule of the tickets that were in my notebook. After i was hauled off to jail, My employer loaded my entire bed onto a truck and hauled it off!!! After reading the police report, they accused me of theft in the amount of $20,000!!!!! Because they added the items off the ticket that were in my paperwork. None of those items were in my home!! I brought the bed from a moving sell back in October! All i know is that the family moved to Canada..

On top of this, after writing a demand for my final wages, they refuse to give it to me stating that i removed items that was not paid for or autorized and that they are applying that to my debt! i seeked the advice from a lawyer, but he wants a fee for services on handling the case. My employer is also denying the payment of my unemployment claims. This has caused me to loose my home because they didnt give me my wages or unemployment issurance.

FYI, an x girlfriend has called and appologized stating that she was the one who called my employer and stated that i had a bed that is theirs in my home. She said she did this because she knew that my employer had theft issues.

Please help! Im broke, NEVER been in trouble!

You may be able to get the court to appoint a lawyer due to the fact you are now unemployed and unable to pay. I think you have to request a court appointed lawyer so do it right away. I assume you don't have a receipt for the bed and it is odd that the bed you bought from someone moving matches this stores inventory. They added the other items because you had the tickets and may have sold it to someone hence why they were not present in your house. Also they would add those items if they are missing from the store and they don't have invoices for a sale. Sounds really serious and you need a lawyer so once again Ill say ask the court to appoint you one. A lawyer may be able request a copy of the tickets and the stores inventory and sales invoices to see if the items are in the store or on the invoices and prove that they were legitimately sold.

Last edited:
Well, actually..I do not have a lawyer at this present time. Ive heard that court appointed lawyers are not as sufficent as paid lawyers. So, in the mean time..i'm landing odd end jobs to afford a lawyer for trial. Ive recieved an initial consultation and the lawyer is requesting a retainer fee of $800.

Is it legal for my job to retain my final paycheck????

How is the best way to go about this because im a college graduate and cant afford for my background to be screwed up. Please help? All advice is greatly appreciated!!

Get a court appointed lawyer now (apply at the courthouse I believe) and you may always get another one you pay for later. There is a fee you pay based on your ability to pay. Some are good, some not so good just like any other. You are in serious trouble and to wait would be dangerous to your case. Your lawyer can tell you if it's legal for them to keep your paycheck based on the circumstances.

So, being that im unemployed and have virtually no money, I can go apply for a court appointed lawyer??? I mean, i do have a final paycheck, but my job doesnt want to release it. i'm so confuse and scared!!! i've never been in any trouble before!!!!

Ask when you go to court what the eligibility requirements are for a court-appointed (meaning we have to pay for it) attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back