Employer lied about termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbgray

My jurisdiction is: PA Lancaster

A few months ago I was fired from my job. My supervisor came to me at my quitting time and asked me to stay and work for another hour or two. I had other very important obligations that evening and had to refuse. If he had given me an advanced notice, I could have changed my plans. He fired me on the spot. I filed for unemployment and waited 10 weeks before I had heard anything. According to Labor & Industry, my employer stated that I quiit voluntarily. There were other statements made that were untrue. I NEVER would have quit since my spouse was currently out of work and my job was the only source of income. I now have appealed the determination for Unemployment. Do I have a case?

You may or may not have a case to receive unemployment. Refusal to work CAN be considered a voluntary term, depending on how you look at it, so I can't offer you any guarantees.

But that would be about all. The termination, voluntary or involuntary, may or may not be fair but it was not illegal.

Employer lied about termination...FOLLOW-UP

Well, about 3 1/2 weeks have gone by since I posted my blog about my employer lying about my termination. The Appeal hearing was held exactly two weeks from the date I appealed the "ineligible" determination. I just recently got the letter from Unemployment stating the change in the determination, which is now "eligible". At the Appeal hearing my employer agreed with everything that I stated happened leading up to my termination, including the statement he made terminating my employment ....which was "Just come and pick up your tools tomorrow" (my tools/toolbox has to be removed by a flatbed truck). The exception, my employer stated, was that he said this only after I said I quit, which I never said. The referee decided in my favor based off of UC code 402b, which states I had a "necessitous and compelling" reason for leaving based off the statement my employer made. The reason/obligation I had for leaving at my quitting time never came into play, maybe because I was never asked what the reason was at the time I was terminated. I now have to wait 15 days to see if my Employer appeals the recent decision.

Congratulations on getting your unemployment claim through.

You didn't ask this, but since a great many people do misunderstand this, I'll answer it anyway; the fact that you received unemployment does not make the termination illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back