Employer is stating voluntarily quit, but I was laid off

Reen

Jurisdiction
Illinois
About a year ago the company i worked for outsourced my position.
They held a meeting to let us know the company will no longer have my position due to the fact that they were starting a new contract with an outsourced company.
They told me the date of my last day I would be an employee of their company, and I stayed till the last day that they asked.

They did offer a severance pay but because I had only worked there for 1 year, my severance pay would be next to nothing. So I declined the severance and continued to work till the last day they asked.

They also said i head until the termination date to apply for positions within.
I applied for several positions and landed an interview for one of them, but sadly did not get the position.

A few days ago I got a notice of interview letter from ides stating that my previous employer was stating that i voluntarily quit, and thst they have some questions to ask me.

Then phone interview is tommorow, and I would love some advice on what I should and shouldn't say and any legal advice on the situation to help me state my case.

About a year ago the company i worked for outsourced my position.
They held a meeting to let us know the company will no longer have my position due to the fact that they were starting a new contract with an outsourced company.
They told me the date of my last day I would be an employee of their company, and I stayed till the last day that they asked.

They did offer a severance pay but because I had only worked there for 1 year, my severance pay would be next to nothing. So I declined the severance and continued to work till the last day they asked.

They also said i head until the termination date to apply for positions within.
I applied for several positions and landed an interview for one of them, but sadly did not get the position.

A few days ago I got a notice of interview letter from ides stating that my previous employer was stating that i voluntarily quit, and thst they have some questions to ask me.

Then phone interview is tommorow, and I would love some advice on what I should and shouldn't say and any legal advice on the situation to help me state my case.

You should tell the truth and shouldn't lie.

Thank you i agree.
I thought that was a given.
I didn't mean I was looking for advice to lie, just advice in general on the situation and the legalities of why this might be happening to me even though I was laid off due to out sourcing.

Thank you i agree.
I didn't mean I was looking for advice to lie, just advice in general on the situation and the legalities of why this might be happening to me even though I was laid off due to out sourcing.
I don't "think" anyone here can tell you why your ex-employer is taking the stance they are. You should bring any/all proof you may have that backs up your claim...e-mail/memos/text etc.

I will "tag" @cbg , who is out HR expert, for you...perhaps she may have some insight in your situation.

Thank you i agree.
Yours is not a legal question. Answer the questions truthfully and without embellishment, while making sure that you don't trash-talk your former employer.

Tell the story the way you told it here. If you have any documentation of what happened, be sure to offer it up during the interview and find out where and how to send it.

Thank you i agree.

It is. However, there's nothing much anyone here can tell you based on the limited information provided. You said there's a phone interview. Well...you should respond to the questions asked truthfully. It's not like anyone here knows what you'll be asked.

why this might be happening to me

No one here has any insight into your former employer's motivations, except that the number and size of valid unemployment claims has some bearing on unemployment taxes that an employer pays.

The unemployment office takes it for granted that either of the parties might be lying. You want to tell the truth exactly as it happened; do not give in to the (understandable) temptation to bad-mouth the employer. A former poster here used to say that often the decision by the UI office is in favor of the party that annoys them the least. You don't want that person to be you.

Back