Employer Invasion of Privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

asiaman

The venture capital (VC) group that funds my present employer recently fired the CEO. I have a very personal and potentially embarrassing family matter that was being handled with discretion by the CEO. In trying to establish a reason to fire the CEO, it would appear that this VC group (or the guy they placed in the company) went through his office and, in doing so, found a document related to my personal and sensitive situation. That document was subsequently discussed in a board meeting and there is evidence to suggest it's also been discussed with others outside of that meeting. The new company president is the guy placed there by the VC group, and while I can't prove it, I believe he is the guy that found the document and gave it to the VCs. Needless to say, it has created a rather uncomfortable working environment.

First off, is it even legal for the VC to have access to my sensitive employment information (regardless of how they obtained it, which may be another potential legal issue)? Secondly, at what point is the line crossed by an employer/investor when dealing with private matters? I would like to consider my options for how to best address this matter legally. What is my best course of action?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back