Employer changed status from salary to only commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

jklist

Hello,

Currently work in Massachusetts earning a salary of over 50K from Sept. 2007. Was informed on Monday 3/23 that because of the economic situation, I can continue working from my home office and be paid only commission every quarter.

I am recruiter & commission offered is $1250 per placement at end of each quarter from the date of placement.

From salary only, can my employer change the arrangement to commission only. This effectively would mean I donot make any moneyfor 3 months after placing 1 candidate.

His main objective seems to be avoiding contributing to the unemployement benefits. Please advice.

Summary
* Work as "technical recruiter" recruiting IT technical candidates for client requirements.
* Work onsite at client office in the state of Massachusetts
* No outside sales work is involved.

JK

I thought I already answered this question but I'm not seeing my response. Maybe on another forum?

Anyway, in case the cyberdog ate my cyberresponse, this does not sound legal to me. He can't make you an IC just by changing your pay structure and having you work from home, and as an employee if you are not doing outside sales you cannot legally be paid commission only. Talk to an employment attorney or contact the Fair Employment Help line run by the state AG's office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back