Employees making large bank deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.

karalynpedersen

Hello all... i am new to this forum and hope someone can help me with some advice.

My boyfriend works in a retail store in a mall and they deal with a lot of money during the day. They used to have an armored car come pick up the money for the bank deposits each night, but recently (to save money we think) they starting making the employees bring the deposits to the bank themselves. My boyfriend does not have a problem doing this. In fact, he is one of the few employees that has a car so he's usually the one that has to do it.

A few weeks ago they sent out a form that they want all employees to sign stating that if the funds are not deposited, the company will hold the employe responsible and seek full restitution. My boyfriend didn't sign it, because he doesn't think he should be held responsible for things beyond his control (such as getting robbed or into a car accident). He expressed his concerns to management and continued to make the nightly deposits.

Today they send out the form again, stating that everyone needed to sign it, and anyone who didn't it would be a volunary resignation. He still does not agree with the form, and now his job is being threatened. There was also an alternate version of the form for managers only that did NOT say anything about seeking restitution. Should he sign it and worry about it later if something were to happen? Could he be in worse trouble for having signed it? Or should he still not sign it and possibly lose his job? The company is saying that they can ask for this form based on Sarbanes-Oxley Federal Regulations. How does that relate to having employees make bank deposits?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back