Employee Privacy

Brandon Kunk

Jurisdiction
Texas
I am on my local school board and we are dealing with an issue and I want to see if a law has been broken.

Employee A filed a grievance against employee B. When the supervisor reprimanded B over email communication, he Bcc'd employee A. Is this illegal and a breach of employee confidentiality?

Not illegal. B has every right to know who filed the grievance and what it was about. You don't get to be anonymous when you accuse others of wrong doing.

And A has a right to know the results of his grievance.

Which one are you? A or B?

have to agree it was bad judgment.... A should have been given an update, but didn't need the exact email sent to B

It is neither illegal nor a breach of confidentiality. However, IMO it was incredibly bad judgement

I agree.
The person who filed the grievance only needs to know it has been heard and addressed. They do not need to know the particulars of it all.
Certainly not illegal, but could be a policy violation of some sort if the "proper procedure" is spelled out. If it isn't, perhaps that could be your next step as a board member- recommend policy that will guide employees and avoid repeating this in the future.

Back