Employee File

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can an employee receive his employee personal file? After leaving the company?

What country are you in? From my understanding there is no such law that enables you to receive a complete copy of your employee file. (A subpoena might change that though!) Someone specializing in labor law may be able to comment more completely on this. What are you thinking here?

It also depends on who your employer is.

You would be more likely to get your personnel file from the government than you would a private employer.

Whether or not an employee can see, or receive a copy of, their personnel file depends on what state they are in. Some states require it; others do not. Even some states which do permit it, put a time limit on when a former employee retains that right.

Once that window has closed, or if the state grants the employer the right to control whether the employee sees/is sent a copy of their file or not, then the only way to compel an employer to provide it is with a subpoena.

If you can provide the name of your state, I can give you your state's law.

Whether or not an employee can see, or receive a copy of, their personnel file depends on what state they are in. Some states require it; others do not. Even some states which do permit it, put a time limit on when a former employee retains that right.

Once that window has closed, or if the state grants the employer the right to control whether the employee sees/is sent a copy of their file or not, then the only way to compel an employer to provide it is with a subpoena.

If you can provide the name of your state, I can give you your state's law.

I guess we will never know the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back