Emotional Distress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silfro

I'm a male college student who's had a series of conflicts with two gay classmates. One of them has all sorts of annoying behavior such as making fun of me within earshot, giving unsolicited destructive opinion about everything, broadcasting his private life and fantasies to the whole class, trying to stir controversy among/between parties, etc. He has made attacks on my sexuality, age, psychological disorder (paranoia) in an effort to deflect accusations against him during confrontations. Months ago, I've filed a complaint to the school's discipline department, but I withdrew it in order not to prolong the conflict. I kind of wish I did not. I'm still haunted by the pain and frustration from the feeling of being had by people motivated by malice and helpless to do anything about it, and I would get fits of rage every now and then. I would often think of beating them up and murdering them, and I'd hit walls, doors, and other things to vent my anger.

Yesterday, I went to school with the purpose of assaulting them. While I was waiting, I've decided to give them a fair chance by asking them first to admit their mistakes, and apologize. The only one I met was the one described above, and not surprisingly, he denied his way out. He said I'm just paranoid, and its not his fault that I'm paranoid. I was stumped and couldn't bring myself to hit his face then... I merely ended up touching his shoulder to stop him on his first attempt to walk past me. It was a supposed-assault turned harassment.

I admit I'm paranoid, but it doesn't automatically absolves him of any offense. I've talked to classmates about it who are pretty much witnesses to the conflicts prior to that encounter, and no one ever told me that those two did not do anything for me to be offended (in fact, a certain classmate used the term "bullying" to describe the situation)... the common advice I get is to let things go and leave the problem to God. The thing is, I don't want them to get away with their offenses, I don't want them laughing in the end. I don't want to hurt anyone and I don't want to become a criminal, but I feel I'm left with no other choice than to violently assault them to get retribution. Before I found this forums, the thought of filing charges for emotional distress against them occured to me... I know it sounds like taking things too far, but if I break their faces, I'm likely to end up in jail anyway for Assault. A great part of me still wants to verbally embarass them and beat them up.

Do I have grounds for filing charges against them for emotional distress? I'm not interested in their money, I'd just donate it to some charity, I just want them to pay. Also, can a "fight" also be sanctioned by legal courts? I'm also interested in a 30-second square off with each or both of them in which neither party will be held liable for whatever damages both parties will incur. I think that's fair enough, but is it legally possible?

Last edited:
I think that the real question is whether all of this is worth your time and efforts to carry out. People have a right to state their opinion and unless it got really out of hand, you're best off ignoring it and letting them do what they do -- and deal with the consequences. I can't imagine that this pair is very popular in class and likely not out of it, except in limited circles.

This is different if ay of them actually assaulted you or created a situation so uncomfortable for the reasonable, average person. I'm guessing that it probably didn't escalate to this level although I'm sure the subject matter was not palatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back