Medical Malpractice Emergency room dr would have known i was pregnant if they had checked my urine

Status
Not open for further replies.

christina37388

I am a 34 year old female, i was having severe pain and pressure in my lower back and abdomen and pain and pressure on my tailbone and very sick at my stomach. I went to the local emergency room and explained what was going on and how i was feeling. I have no health insurance, well they took a urine sample and when it came back the dr came in and told me my urine came back perfect and he said i probably just had arthritis he sent me home with some pain meds and muscle relaxers! 3 days later im hurting more and vomitting so my parents took me to a diffrent emergency room and they ordered a urine test and some blood work the dr came in and told me i was pregnant, and that she was going to order an ultrasound to see if something was wrong. when the ultrasound came back she told me the fetus was inside my fallopian tube and then they had to do an emergency surgery, after the surgery was told that my fallopian tube had ruptured because my appendix had grown together with my right ovary and was inside my tube and the fetus was inside my tube and told me if i had not have came i more than likely would have died! my question is, is there anything legally that i can do to the first emergency room dr for neglect because i had no insurance! i believe if i had of had health insurance they would have done more all they had to do was check my urine for pregnancy! any advice would be greatly appriciated thanks!

You would have to be able to prove that the first hospital did something wrong. Just because they did not detect the problem does not mean they were negligent.
People come in to the ER all the time with complaints of pain that amount to nothing significant.
The first hospital did the same test as the second one but got a different result. Based on that result they likely acted appropriately.
It is always your right to go to another doctor for a second opinion, and it is a good thing you did, but no, you don't have much of a complaint to make against the first hospital. At least not based on what you have said here.

Ditto. They attempted to treat you, based on what they observed. They are only required to a minimal standard of care. They attempted to assist you.

no i have not and it happened in tennessee i just seen the dr who did my surgery today and he said that the fetus had had to have been in there for a while because it was larger than a golf ball and it was as hard as a rock, i understand that the first emergency room tried (Whatever) to assist me but all they would have had to have done was give me a pregnancey test i thought that was routine for any female with abdominal pain to be tested maybe i am wrong! I'm just so aggravated thanks for your responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back