Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks embezzlement/false pretense

Status
Not open for further replies.

1sttimeoffender

I was clocking in at work earlier than I was scheduled and sometimes on days that I wasn't scheduled. I did this for about 4 months and the amount could be about $1500. I was let go and now I have an arraignment next Friday. It was at my school, while I was an undergraduate. Now, I have graduated and I really don't need this as a felony on my record, because I will basically never get another job.

1) For the false pretense charge, don't I actually have to tell a lie for it to count as false pretense?

2) In Michigan, what is the usual sentence for embezzlement charges for this amount?

3) I don't have money for a lawyer, so at the arraignment, will I have enough time to talk to my court-appointed lawyer and ask about my options?

What state are you in?

What are the statutes you are charged under?

1) For the false pretense charge, don't I actually have to tell a lie for it to count as false pretense?

2) In Michigan, what is the usual sentence for embezzlement charges for this amount?

3) I don't have money for a lawyer, so at the arraignment, will I have enough time to talk to my court-appointed lawyer and ask about my options?

Answers:

1. Your clocking in was your false pretenses.

2. Tell us the statute numbers you are charged under (and I assume the charge was in Michigan).

3. If you are eligible, you should ask for a public defender; you will get time to talk.

At your arraignment you can ask for a public defender, but there won't be one for you at that time.

Your punishment can vary county by county. I'm aware of someone that embezzled 15K and didn't get any jail time. But, she paid back everything she stole and had an amazingly huge amount of community service.

You can do yourself a favor by being able to pay your debts, including what the court will eventually fine you.

what is a statute number...? and to answer the question, it is in Washtenaw County.

sorry if I don't know this... this is my first time i've ever had a run in with the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back