Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Embezzle

Mixer360

Jurisdiction
California
A friend was recently arrested on the following charge 508PC, 487 (b) (3) PC. I do not know the amount of money (maybe $3000) she was charge with stealing. The offense occurred over 2 1/2 years ago in San Diego county. She was held over for a hearing even though her attorney was at the initial hearing with bail. She has no criminal record and is a good citizen. I know they had a rough patch during that time period with monies.

Her lawyer will see to it she gets a fair trial.

What is the possible outcome for a first time offender

In your state, due to its finances, I'd say probation.

Depending on the amount, that could mean weekend jail time for six months or so, along with probation.

However, she's innocent until proven guilty.

If the state can't convince a jury of her guilt, she might even get out this mess unscathed.

If you wish to help her, don't discuss this with anyone.

This is a felony offense, but not a violent crime, so jail time will likely be minimal if the amount was only $3000, and if those are the only charges. Since this occurred over the course of a few years there could potentially be multiple counts of the same charges which will complicate things.
There are too many variables to consider to narrow down to any likely outcome, but probation and fines will certainly be part of it.
If your friend actually did commit the offense I would expect your friend to try and negotiate a plea. Your friend should still be able to post bail.

Back