Emancipation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soccermom09

My daughters boyfriend lives with us. He is 18yrs old going on 19 in april. He is still in school and holds a part time job. He has stated an intrest of going to college. He has not lived with his parents for several yrs. His parents dont have means to send him to college. We talked to college rep who said something about emancipation so he can receive financial assistance.. Does he need lawyer, is it difficult, can a parent wh hasnt really been a positive or influetial person stop him?

You don't list your state but generally once you are 18 you are no longer a minor & are "emancipated."

Michigan and arent you considerd a dependant if you are a) a student under the age of 26 and b) if someone can claim you on there tax returns? I dont know, I think maybe ill have to talk to his parents maybe, but his mom didnt even care if he finished high school, so maybe im just beating a dead horse?

Emancipation for legal status versus emancipation for the purpose of FAFSA etc are actually two different things.

He needs to contact the relevant department at the school and ask them exactly what they require.

The age of majority in Michigan is 18. Michigan - emancipation:
Michigan emancipation of minor act: Minor means a person under the age of 18. Emancipation means termination of the rights of the parents to the custody, control, services and earnings of a minor (person under age 18).

That doesn't mean there "might" not be some type of financial assistance available to him - talk to the school again.

The age 26 thing is unrelated to emancipation, student status or even child support. A parent can continue to cover their child on their health insurance until the age of 26 no matter what; doesn't matter if the child is a student or not. The parent can even continue the coverage if the child is married. They are not obligated to provide this coverage, but the insurance carrier and/or employer cannot prevent them from providing the coverage IF THEY CHOOSE TO. This is part of the Affordable Care Act and has nothing to do with whether the child is considered a legal adult.

FAFSA coverage is until 23 or 24, I forget which.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back