Naturalization, Citizenship Eligible for dual citizenship (US/CDN)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianGuy

Hi guys,

I'm hoping I can get some help here. My mom is American, my dad is Canadian. I was born in Canada in 1982. My mother was born in 1958 and I believe she moved over to Canada in 1976 when she was 18. It might have been 1977, I'm not entirely sure. She was a landed immigrant in Canada up until a few years ago, now she is a dual citizen. I don't know if this matters but she was born in Michigan and moved to Southern Ontario where I was born.

Am I eligible for dual citizenship? The majority of my family lives down in Arizona and I really REALLY want to move down there. I can have them sponsor me no problem as they are pretty well off.

What are my options? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I am a dual citizen born in Canada and living in the US, and when I had questions about my status, the Canadian Consulate was extremely helpful. Give them a call.

Thanks for the help guys. I just gave my mom a call and she said she became a landed immigrant at the age of 18 which basically means I am SOL.

If you were born on or after 12/24/52 and before 11/14/86, and ONE of your parents was a U.S. citizen at the time of your birth, you may have acquired U.S. citizenship at birth if the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the USA for periods totaling 10 years prior to your birth, at least 5 of which were after their 14th birthday.

She said she came over 2 months before her 19th birthday which means only 4 years and 10 months out of the 5 :(

I would still file for it and see what happens...

Perhaps I'll go to the Consulate here in Toronto tomorrow during lunch, turns out I work a block away from it. Can't hurt to get all the information I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back