Electric utility issue

taxiride

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Here's the situation:
I've been renting a lot for my fifth wheel for about 2yrs. the owner left the electric and water in his name and he would text me the electric bill amount and water bill amount and then I would meet up with him, to pay my lot rent, the electric bill, the water bill. I wrote the date, each amount and what the amount was for ie: :rent, electric,water and wrote paid in full and amount paid and the property owner signed it. in by book. each time I paid him.
For every month I've rented.

Two months ago the owner said he wants to sell the lot, and to please put electric and water in my name. then I came home and my water was disconnected. he did not pay the bill.
So he did pay it and I immediately had water transferred into my name.
Then I contacted electric. I told them that I needed it transferred to my name, that I've never had it in my name and what was involved ? what steps do I need to take to have it transferred?
they stated to me that I needed to give them $150 deposit payable in five monthly payments with my bill , that that was all I needed to do. I said that was fine.
they transferred it in my name and I did paperless billing and I paid the first month right away and this month's bill wasn't due until the 25th I got the bill on the 10th and paid it immediately.
I have a zero balance with my account with Electric.
yesterday , Electric called me and told me, first they told me there was a 6th month past due account on the property that was unpaid,, then they changed it to 5 and a half months ,then the third person I spoke with said it was four and a half months in arrears and since I have been living on the property they were going to make me pay it and transfer the past due amount of $286 into my account!
I asked them whose name was on the account they said they weren't allowed to give me that information. I said let me get this straight somebody else had a contract with you, you let it go into four and a half, five months past due and took no action on it and now 7 months later you're coming to me and are telling me that I have to pay it? They said yes since I was living on the property I have to pay it.
I told them that I was renting the lot and until two months ago everything was included and that if I went to a big apartment complex and rented an apartment all utilities paid and then for whatever reason the apartment owner decided not to pay Electric they couldn't go after each individual and make them pay and they said yes they could and that's what they would do.
I then ask them did they require a $150 deposit from the person who was past due on the account they're trying to make me pay? They said they weren't allowed to give me that information.
I said so let me get this straight you have an account that you have let go past due to almost 5 months you won't give me any information but you are telling me I have to pay it? And they said yes since I was living on the property, I was benefiting from the kilowatts and I had to pay it.
I then asked him how could that possibly be legal ?they said it was written into their bylaws and that they could do it anytime they wanted to.
I then told them how is it Electric could let an account go to four and a half 5 months past due and not take any action on it? That they were obviously not following their own companies set protocols to let the count go into five months past due and not take any action on it.
they didn't answer that question. they said they weren't authorized to answer that question.
they had a supervisor call me so I requested that supervisors manager call me. I told them I wasn't going to pay a bill that somebody else owed.so I gave them the owners phone number I told them I could give them his address that he has an account with them at his address ,that they could disconnect his electricity. that they could attach it to his electricity account, that he was the party that had the contract with them. my name wasn't on the account that I was renting with all utilities included and that I could bring Electric every receipt for every month I rented with signature. I was never late once .they told me no it was my problem! that it was a landlord tenant dispute and that they were going to attach the $286 on to my account and make me pay it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to resolve the electric utility issue?

Yes, negotiate a settlement that pleases the electric utility.
There are battles you won't ever win, this is one of those battles.
You should never trust others to pay for things you use.
Without explaining, you know full we'll now, why.

W
Yes, negotiate a settlement that pleases the electric utility.
There are battles you won't ever win, this is one of those battles.
You should never trust others to pay for things you use.
Without explaining, you know full we'll now, why.
It is not right.that I have to pay twice. why aren't they pursuing the person that owes it? I surely have some rights. The I'm not entitled to know whose name is on the contract that I'm not entitled to any information but I'm expected to pay someone else's bill

W

It is not right.that I have to pay twice. why aren't they pursuing the person that owes it? I surely have some rights. The I'm not entitled to know whose name is on the contract that I'm not entitled to any information but I'm expected to pay someone else's bill
Especially when they don't follow their own company's protocol and they didn't even pursue trying to take any action for 5 months and now seven months later they're going to make me pay it

W

I suggest you make that argument to the utility company, or your state agency charged with regulating the utility company.

Making that argument to an unknown loser, ME, is useless, nonproductive, and foolish.

Back