Electric meter dispute w/landlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambitiousd

I would appreciate guidance pertaining to a matter related to a property a friend of mine is currently renting in NJ. He recently moved into a small upstairs "remodeled attic" apartment. As agreed with the landlord, he changed over the electric bill into his name for the apartment in the attic. A few days later, he received his first bill which was well over $300. In disbelief, he contacted the electric company to inform them of the error and to request an investigation. He was informed that there were only 3 meters registered with the electric company. He was told that his Apt did not exist. In essence it was not registered as a separate legal unit with its own individual meter. Unbeknownst to him his new apartment was hooked up to the house meter (lights in hallway, outside lights and common areas) and the unoccupied store on the lower level. He brought it to my landlord's immediate attention. The landlord informed him that this was indeed incorrect and he would contact PSE&G to correct any meter issues. It has been well over 5 months and the issue has not been resolved. The electric bill is now well over $1,200. He has done everything in his power to get this matter rectified with the electric company and his landlord whom is not responsive. I would appreciate guidance as to whom he may contact to resolve this matter and to file a grievance.

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back