Electric Company Lawsuits

Fletchfield

Jurisdiction
Arizona
My local electric company is a co-op. They are requesting that I submit a copy of my divorce decree from my first marriage which ended about 15 years ago. I feel that they don't need this and refuse to hand this over to them. My power bill is paid on time always. If they shut off my power because of this can I sue them? I have provided them with all information they have asked of me previously. But seems like they are trying to tie me to an outstanding bill from my ex wife. Can they legally ask me for this?
Thanks for any input on this.

If they shut off my power because of this can I sue them?

Any adult (or corporation) could sue any other adult (or corporation) for a myriad of reasons.

The question you need to answer is will YOUR lawsuit be successful.

In the instant example you posit, I don't see successful lawsuit against the utility for you.

Can they legally ask me for this?

Yes, they can ask you to pay any outstanding debt they believe you owe them.

If you fail to submit the necessary documents as requested, you'll probably be required to pay the debt, or provide a large deposit to reactivate your service.

How large?

I've heard some people being required to put up $1,000, even a $3,000 deposit.

Paying the debt might be your easiest solution.

You are also able to file a complaint with your AZ State Corporation Commission:

Arizona Corporation Commission:

I already have service with them. I played a deposit and have paid the bill on time. Now they are asking for a divorce decree from 15 years ago. They won't tell me why, so I told them it's none of their business.

I already have service with them. I played a deposit and have paid the bill on time. Now they are asking for a divorce decree from 15 years ago. They won't tell me why, so I told them it's none of their business.

You are free to do what you believe serves you best.

I am a nothing.

I am a nobody.

I take no pleasure in your dilemma or your success.

I have no dog in your fight, nor do I have any quarrel with you or the utility company.

You posed a couple questions to which I responded.

Now you must endeavor to convince the utility company's management that you are correct in ignoring their requests.

Good luck.

Then let it go at that and see what happens.

By the way, your divorce decree is public record at the courthouse. All they have to do is look it up and get a copy.

My local electric company is a co-op. They are requesting that I submit a copy of my divorce decree from my first marriage which ended about 15 years ago. I feel that they don't need this and refuse to hand this over to them.

Why does the co-op want it, and why to you refuse to provide it? The document is a matter of public record.

If they shut off my power because of this can I sue them?

Absolutely. Anyone can sue anyone for anything.

Can they legally ask me for this?

Yes.

They won't tell me why

So...when someone from the co-op asked and you responded by asking that person why he/she wanted it, that person said, "I'm not going to tell you"?

Back