1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

educational problem

Discussion in 'Education Law, School System' started by Rebecca L. Farmer, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Rebecca L. Farmer

Rebecca L. Farmer Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    I've experienced an educational problem due to my disability. I need a retroactive medical withdrawal from four universities that I've attended in order to earn a graduate degree. I have a mental illness, schizophrenia, and I haven't been doing well enough that I could have passed my classes, due to the symptoms of schizophrenia I've had.

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Why does it have to be retroactive?

3. Rebecca L. Farmer

The semester has already ended.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

I figured that but that's not what I was getting at. Is it that you want your money back or preserve the ability to try again later without all the Fs?

What do the college catalogs say about a retroactive withdrawal due to medical conditions?

That's where you are going to have to look to see if it's even possible.

5. Rebecca L. Farmer

I need to be able to continue my studies without being denied a Stafford Loan.

6. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

When you spoke to the Registrar's of the school(s) what did they say?

7. Paddywakk

Paddywakk New Member

Why do you think you'll be denied a loan (now called Direct Loan)? Withdrawing now shouldn't affect future loans,

8. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Bummer. Do you have a question?

If you do, why do you believe that your mental illness should entitle you to retroactive withdrawals? What specific semesters to you want withdrawals from?

9. Rebecca L. Farmer

I have several failing grades that I need to have taken off of my transcript.

10. Rebecca L. Farmer

I became too distraught to get my work done properly. This happened in 2016.

11. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

That explains why you didn't complete the coursework, but it doesn't answer the question I asked, which was why you believe that your mental illness should entitle you to what you want. Lots of college students are "too distraught to get [their] work done properly" for all sorts of reasons.

Also, even if this is something you were entitled to at the time, after 4-5 years, it's probably too late to enforce that entitlement.

12. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

This was from five years ago? Not gonna happen. You might have had a slim chance of success if you were talking about the current term; if you were talking about last term you'd have had about a one in a one hundred thousandth of a chance if you caught the Registrar before he or she had had their morning coffee. They are not going to allow you to withdraw from cases that you failed five years ago. Nor is there any law or legal basis you can invoke that will require them to do so.

hrforme likes this.
  13. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Were you committed to a medical facility to treat your mental health issues?

If so, how long were treated in the facility?

Did you notify your counselor or another college official about your mental health issues or hospitalizations resulting therefrom?

Were you ever diagnosed as mentally incompetent by a psychiatrist (or physician) during these various episodes?

14. Paddywakk

Paddywakk New Member

Failing grades from 5 years ago should not affect your loans at your new school.

If you've exceeded the maximum cumulative limit for an undergraduate. having those grades removed won't help you.