EDD Garnishment

TK90265

Jurisdiction
California
Ten years ago I was receiving EDD checks while I worked and I just received a garnishment order stating that I was overpaid because of commissions I received and not reported correctly. The total overage is less than $3000.00 and now ten years later they send a judgement stating that I have a total due of $10,000.00 due to interest. I had no idea. What can I do...

Well, assuming that CA got all the Ts crossed and the Is dotted with the judgment and garnishment, I don't think you'll be able to stop the garnishment unless you have a large amount a cash to offer as a lump sum discounted settlement.

Meantime, read this:

Overpayments

Might be worth a consult with a UI attorney.

Ten years ago I was receiving EDD checks while I worked and I just received a garnishment order stating that I was overpaid because of commissions I received and not reported correctly. The total overage is less than $3000.00 and now ten years later they send a judgement stating that I have a total due of $10,000.00 due to interest. I had no idea. What can I do...

You can, of course, pay their demand.
You can attempt to negotiate a settlement.
You can discuss with a bankruptcy attorney if this type of debt is dischargeable under a chapter 7 bankruptcy filing.

Back