Consumer Law, Warranties Early termination of a gym membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyC123

In November, 2005 I joined a gym and signed a 1-year contract. The monthly fee was $39.99, and would be deducted monthly from a credit card (I used a check card so it would be deducted from my bank account). In February, 2006 I was fired from my job and needed to move out of state immediately. One of the first things I did was call the gym to cancel my membership. They informed me that there would be a $50 early termination fee, which I agreed I would pay. I hadn't gotten around to it immediately, and less than a week later the gym deducted March's membership fee from my account (again, $39.99). I was infuriated. I called the gym to complain but they said nothing could be done and I would still need to pay the $50 termination fee. I promptly closed my bank account to prevent any additional payments from being withdrawn.

I took no action until September, 2006 when the gym contacted me to collect $553.66 in unpaid dues (and interest, I suppose). Over the phone, they offered to settle for $300. I rejected their offer and proposed to pay the early termination fee of $50, with the condition that the March, 2006 dues they withdrew from my account is applied to that. In otherwords, I offered them $10. They said that was unacceptable due to their collection agency fees (they told me those fees were approximately $80). I offered to pay the $10 plus the collection fees (a total of $90). They rejected that offer as well.

I filed a complaint with the state's Better Business Bureau in December, 2006. They contacted the gym, but did little to remediate the situation.

I received a call from a collection agency today (March, 2008) telling me that the fee was referred to them and that I would have to pay $490 to settle this matter.

At this point, I feel that (contract or not) the gym provided no service or goods to me for which I would owe them any more than the $90 i previously offered to pay them. I'm not worried about getting a blemish on my credit report, but I'm worried about any legal ramifications if I opt not to pay this amount. Do I have any options at this point? Can the gym or collection agency file suit against me?

What does the conact say? Did you follow the proceedures for early termination? Did you doucument everything? Stand your ground if you followed the early termination process correctly. Don't let them bully you. Use their contract against them.

Unfortunately, the contract requires a 30 day written notice for cancellation. I was unaware of this the first time I called to ask about cancelling. The person I spoke to led me to believe that no further monthly dues would be taken from my account, but I have no documentation of this. When the dues was taken a few days later, thats when the relationship went sour.

Take a look at the fine print in your agreement. Most gym memberships offer you a $50 cancellation if you relocate. The State Attorney General in my state mandated certain cancellation clauses because of fraudulent sales practices. Get proof of your relocation with a bank statement, change of address, or credit card bill. If you can show when you moved you may be able to get your total prorated to that date. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back