E-store and affiliate liability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

I am starting an online store and I'm interested in getting affiliates to promote the products I sell. They would receive a small percentage from every sale that they recommend. I am also interested in providing the affiliates web pages and other tools on my site so they can post product reviews, how-to guides, and general information about the products I sell on my store.

But I'm worried that if something goes wrong, let's say someone follows the advice of how to use a product from an affiliate and injure themselves, I might be the one liable. If the affiliate had their own site setup that would be one thing but here I am providing a page directly on my e-store to help them.

Is there a way to have such a setup (providing a space on my site for affiliates to promote products for my e-store) and not take on liability in case something happens?

Just to get a clear idea of what I'm going for. From the customer's point of view they would go to my site and just like any other e-store there would be products to browse and put in their shopping cart. In addition, there would be different pages with different affiliates. When the user clicks on one of those pages there would be blog entries and maybe videos that the affiliate posts about products. The affiliate is free to control the content that goes on their page. The only thing that would be out of their control is the look and feel of the page since it would be designed to blend in with the store theme.

I have no intention of hiding anything and I will disclose on the site very clearly that the affiliates are not part of the site or my company and to follow their advice and guidance at the consumer's own risk. Each affiliate page would have a clear disclaimer on top stating this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back