Eviction Grounds DV victims rights to remain in home

patricia

Jurisdiction
Oregon
My husband was just put in jail for assault 2. He is not to return to the property. We have lived in our apartment for 3 years yet I was never on the lease. The landlord knew I was here. We just married, in September. Should I prepare to be forced from the home?

What did the landlord say when you asked him your question?

My husband was just put in jail for assault 2. He is not to return to the property. We have lived in our apartment for 3 years yet I was never on the lease. The landlord knew I was here. We just married, in September. Should I prepare to be forced from the home?

You're in California, no worries.
As long as you keep paying the rent in FULL and ON TIME each month your landlord PROBABLY won't care!

Now, if paying the rent will become a problem for you, you'll probably be evicted sooner or later.
However, you do have time to prepare for that, and Christmas is on the horizon.
If paying isn't a problem, no need to even discuss any of this with the landlord, unless you want your name on the lease.
You've been good tenants for THREE years.

I don't think your landlord cares one iota why your hubby will be missing for a couple weeks, or a few months as long as he gets all of his moola.

Plus, if hubby is a good boy in jail, minds his Ps and Qs, he'll be out in four or five weeks anyway.
Well, I exaggerated a tad, but you get my point.

If you expect to make amends and forget this sordid episode, just keep paying the rent, and early next year this will be just a bad memory.

Last edited:
By the way, if it was you that your husband assaulted I strongly suggest you get yourself a divorce lawyer ASAP.

OP titled her thread DV victims rights to remain in home. It sort of sounds like she was the victim. I agree with your suggestion above.

Back