1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

DV victims rights to remain in home Eviction Grounds

Discussion in 'Eviction, Recovery of Premises' started by patricia, Nov 10, 2015.

1. patricia

patricia Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Oregon
    My husband was just put in jail for assault 2. He is not to return to the property. We have lived in our apartment for 3 years yet I was never on the lease. The landlord knew I was here. We just married, in September. Should I prepare to be forced from the home?

2. KatDini

KatDini Well-Known Member

What did the landlord say when you asked him your question?

3. patricia

patricia Law Topic Starter New Member

Haven't spoken to him yet. I'm just now, dealing with details. I suppose I just want some idea before I do.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Many states have laws protecting victims of DV from being evicted.

Name your state and I'll look it up for you.

5. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

You're in California, no worries.
    As long as you keep paying the rent in FULL and ON TIME each month your landlord PROBABLY won't care!

Now, if paying the rent will become a problem for you, you'll probably be evicted sooner or later.
    However, you do have time to prepare for that, and Christmas is on the horizon.
    If paying isn't a problem, no need to even discuss any of this with the landlord, unless you want your name on the lease.
    You've been good tenants for THREE years.

I don't think your landlord cares one iota why your hubby will be missing for a couple weeks, or a few months as long as he gets all of his moola.

Plus, if hubby is a good boy in jail, minds his Ps and Qs, he'll be out in four or five weeks anyway.
    Well, I exaggerated a tad, but you get my point.

If you expect to make amends and forget this sordid episode, just keep paying the rent, and early next year this will be just a bad memory.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  6. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

By the way, if it was you that your husband assaulted I strongly suggest you get yourself a divorce lawyer ASAP.

7. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

OP titled her thread DV victims rights to remain in home. It sort of sounds like she was the victim. I agree with your suggestion above.