Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI DUS ticket after DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

zicarias

Hey everyone, I am looking for the opinions of any attorneys or people in law enforcement on this one.

I close relative of mine was convicted of a DUI last summer. Part of her sentence was obviously a license suspension for 1-5 years and in Ohio, she is required to have yellow license plates that distinguish her from everyone else as a convict of DUI. Among other things, she has an interlock device on the vehicle (prohibiting it from being operated by anyone intoxicated) and of course a suspended drivers license. Eventually she was granted restricted driving privileges for the following: Occupation, medical, 1 hr on sat for errands, kid's school functions, church, court and AA meetings. This is all stated on an official document from the court which she keeps in her car. This document also states that she must have written proof of her work schedule with hours with her as well.

Anyways about two weeks ago she was pulled over by the police around 10am while driving to a co-worker's house to deliver material for a work meeting taking place that night, because of the yellow tags and when they ran her license it of course came back suspended. She had all the required information except a schedule showing her hours, because like many people she works for a salary with commissions. She works in surgery and each day her schedule changes based on the surgery schedule.

This was not enough to convince the police that she was within her driving privileges and they wrote her a ticket for DUS and impounded her car. The next day at the arraignment her PO, who wrote the driving privileges told the judge that she was definitely not outside of her privileges but the judge insisted that court proceedings must be followed since the officer wrote the ticket.

Her attorney filed a motion to release the car and it is at her house now, but has been immobilized with a club by the police. Her pre-trial date is near the end of April, which is more than a month away. Without a car she has no transportation to work. The prosecutor has refused to drop the charges and is proceeding, given the statements from her PO and the evidence.

At trial, she is prepared to have representation from her employer as well as her PO and the head of the probation department to defend her case. There are records of the meeting as well as statements and phone records to prove she was in fact delivering material required for a meeting with doctors that evening. During the traffic stop her co-worker even met her on the side of the road to get the material (while the cop was writing the citation) because they impounded her car.

So far this has cost close to $500 and she was fully within her privileges. What is the likely outcome of her trial?

Obviously if she is convicted of DUS it will violate her probation and she will be sentenced to 6mos - year in prison. (ie. lost job, home, etc.)

Thanks for any insight

From what you state, she will more than likely be acquitted.
In the future, she might be wise to have such meetings held at her home, or get someone to drive her.

She could have emailed or faxed the schedule. This will likely reoccur. She'd be wise to be more proactive. That way she will avoid being reactive.

I tell my clients to "tip-toe" while on probation.
That might be good advice for her, too.

Moving on from here, I am sure she will carry more than enough proof. What has her so upset, and I don't blame her, is the way the system has jerked her around. Even if she is acquitted, there will be a fee to lift the immobilization, court fees, etc. all on top of the $500 its already cost. Today she told me that someone - either the police or the towing company where it was impounded tried to pry the interlock device apart with something and caused damage to it. Tampering with that is also a violation of probation so she is going to have to convince them she didn't do it (I told her good luck).

She had all the required information except a schedule showing her hours, because like many people she works for a salary with commissions.

I would expect that if she can get her employer to validate her story and confirm it was work related that she may be ok. if I were the officer at the time I would not have bought the excuse either... people like to lie to us. I don't care about the excuse... save the excuse for judges and juries. She is not guilty of anything just because she got a citation- let the court work things out.

Even if she is acquitted, there will be a fee to lift the immobilization, court fees, etc. all on top of the $500 its already cost.

If she is acquitted you need to ask the court to waive these fees. If you don't ask for it you won't get it.

Mightymoose, are you a cop? If so, and you pulled someone over for having these distinguishing yellow plates, what would you consider appropriate proof to have that she is indeed driving for work? Again, she works in orthopedic surgery at multiple hospitals across northeastern Ohio everyday. Each hospital has their own surgery schedule and she is on call 24/7. She has no daily hours. She told me that she did show the officer her planner and blackberry both of which had the meeting recorded and offered to have her boss call him or the station.

So as a cop, in the future what do you advise?

Thanks

... If so, and you pulled someone over for having these distinguishing yellow plates,

First, having the yellow plate is not sufficient reason for the stop. There must be another violation to justify the stop- speed, mechanical problem, etc.

what would you consider appropriate proof to have that she is indeed driving for work?

It is not what I would consider- it is what the law states is acceptable. I do not know the particular state law in question, but I would bet it specifies what documents are required. If it truly does not specify then that could possibly benefit your friend in court.

Again, she works in orthopedic surgery at multiple hospitals across northeastern Ohio everyday. Each hospital has their own surgery schedule and she is on call 24/7. She has no daily hours. She told me that she did show the officer her planner and blackberry both of which had the meeting recorded and offered to have her boss call him or the station.

None of that means anything. The officer has pretty good grounds to issue the citation, and your friend can provide her defense to the citation in court- and again I would expect a letter from the employer would go a long way. However, if she was required to have a specific document and did not have it, the letter won't do any good- she was still in violation. Even so, the judge could always decide to toss it out.

So as a cop, in the future what do you advise?

I advise that she make sure she knows what is required of her and abide by it. Her DUI conviction made her subject to additional requirements to maintain her driving privilege. If she does not want to lose that privilege, make sure she is in compliance.

Just remember that the police officer is not the judge. He found a violation and issued a citation- now it is time for court to do its part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back