Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI dui revocation in illinois - now live in another state

Status
Not open for further replies.

againstallodds

I got my 1st and only dui back in may of '07 and was able to finish the first set of dui classes required (found to be level 2 moderate risk). Then moved to Virginia before completing second portion, at which point i was told that i could take the dui course that was offered in Virginia. By this time my fine was paid in full, though late, and i had completed the dui courses offered in Virginia, also obviously late.

Illinois mailed me back my license and i was told by the national driver registry that my license was valid. I called back a few different times and was told the same thing, at which point i assumed that everything had been taken care of and i was good to go. Come to find out when i went looking for car insurance, they could not help me because my license had been revoked. Which is the same point that i found out that Illinois was unaware that i had completed any schooling and already held a court date without my knowledge for the revocation of my license.

I have not had any other infractions since the dui nor before. I have a copy of the certificate of completion for both the first set of classes and the total classes completed in Virginia, as well as having all fines paid for.

The problem lies in the fact that i am a stay at home parent and it is completely inconceivable for me to get back to Illinois to get this all cleared up. I am hoping to fix this problem without a lawyer if at all possible and do have family back in Illinois whom are willing to help in anyway.

I'm wondering what options i have in getting this taken care of, without me going back to Illinois, what steps i need to take in doing so, and perhaps who i should talk to that might be able to help.

Last edited:
What began in Illinois, must end in Illinois.

You should have sought permission (in writing) from the court of original jurisdiction.

You PROBABLY relocated without proper permission.

Now, you're paying for that mistake.

Your problem may have been satisfied with Illinois DMV, but not with the Illinois court.

If you want to fix this (and get your driving privileges reinstated), you'll have to investigate what the court requires.

If it isn't the court that needs something of you, perhaps its probation?

If it isn't probation, it might be the DMV?

It could even be something all three need from you.

Nevertheless, it isn't what you want or can do, if you want what they can do for you.
What is that?
Give you back your driving privileges and make this go away.

Well, even when you get your privileges restored, auto insurers will need an arm and a leg to insure you!

You may not want a lawyer.
Maybe you can't afford a lawyer.
If you ever want to LEGALLY drive again, you'd be wise to hire one!
You also had better make travel arrangements to return to Illinois UNTIL this is corrected.

I'd have my people check to see if Illinois has any warrants for your arrest.
You can also have any Illinois bail bondsman do that, too.
Although Illinois won't come to Virginia to extradite you for this type of offense, they could arrest you if and when you return to their state!
In some cases, some states will extradite on DUI offenses.
You might want to investigate that possibility, too!

i did have a warrant issued which was quashed, so i'm not worried about that.. and the case has been closed.

now i have heard about A. trying to file a motion to vacate - B. waiting for reinstatement eligibility date.. where i may be able to apply for my license again after X-amount of time has passed since the conviction.

do either of those make sense to try and pursue in this instance? or even a possibility especially since it will be so extremely difficult to get back to Illinois to do anything in person.

Wow, that's a complicated one. With a DUI you do have to keep in mind that you've got two authorities who want things from you: One is the civil, and that's between you and the DMV; the other is the criminal part, and that's between you and the court.

It sounds, though I'm not sure from what you've written, that the criminal part is satisfied (though they had a warrant for your arrest??), but that the civil part--the DMV--is not satisfied.

I would say the first thing you should do is make sure that you have the documentation to prove that you have attended these classes that were required. You have that, from what you have written. Now, keep in mind that you would be dealing with the DMV, not the court system. And the DMV, although their employees can be so curt and rude, is not really out to keep you from getting your license. They just have these rigid rules that they cannot deviate from.

Since you've got no warrant for an arrest, I think what I would do is call the DMV is in Illinois and explain what the situation is. If you don't get anywhere with them, then you do need to get an attorney.

But eventually, I am guessing that you are going to have to return to Illinois to get all this straightened out.

I have no idea what you mean by filing a motion to vacate? What does that mean? If you're going to be asking Illinois to be lenient when it comes to the requirements for a DUI, I would never assume that if I were you. No. They never are. They want every single i dotted, every t crossed, with no exceptions.

And be very careful about driving. I personally would never drive on a license that I knew was revoked. The penalties for that are almost as bad as a DUI, becuase it is a misdemeanor.

Yes, it sucks, but that's the nature of a DUI conviction., They are out to make the biggest and hardest impression on you that they can, so that you never, ever do it again.

And I'm not trying to shame you. I've got my own problems related to a DUI myself, and mine's been clearned up for years. Mine is from 2004, and I long ago did everything required of me, but I'm now having to deal with the fear of consumer background checks for a lease and a domestic attorney holding up this DUI of mine as though it's proof that I am public enemy number one.

I would never, ever want to tango with this mess again. And I guess that's why they make it so hard on you.

Call the Illinois DMV and find out what you've got to do to get this cleared up. And no, I would not tell them where you live, anything like that. If they get too nosey, you're going to need an attorney. The last thing you want to see happen is to be arrested for this. And I would be paranoid about that, really. Yes, you're in a different state, but? A DUI is something they really punish as hard as they can.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back