Assault & Battery Due Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

slrt2313

I hope someone out there can help my family and I, as we've never been in a situation like this before. A family member was arrested for a crime, hauled off to jail without being told the charges until after 20m in an interview room. About 20m after that he was mirandized (sp?). 5 days later bail was reduced from a multi-million dollar bond to $50k (a whole other story). He was released to his parent's home with a monitoring device.

That was about 6 weeks ago. About 2 weeks after the initial arrest, on the day of the grand jury indictment hearing, the hearing was postponed. To date, no reschedule date has been determined.

A few questions (and again, thanks to anyone who takes the time to try and provide any answers):
[*]Can someone be hauled off in handcuffs from their home without being told why (other than a search warrant which he did not get to see - one of his roomates was shown it, but not allowed to read it)?
[*]Can they be physically detained for that kind of time without being told why, and then subsequently mirandized?
[*]Is there a limit, i.e. 90 days, that the prosecution team has to present evidence to the grand jury?
[*]If the evidence isn't presented in whatever that time frame is, do the charges get dismissed?
[*]To date, this family member and the attorney have not been presented with the evidence used to execute the search warrant and the arrest. As we understand it, that doesn't have to be disclosed to them at the grand jury hearing either?
[*]That basically means that any exculpatory evidence they have can't/won't be presented until a formal trial is convened?!
[*]That would mean that if there is any evidence that would likely dismiss the charges, there wouldn't be any opportunity to present it nor to plan for an offense based on whatever the prosecution is holding until it goes to trial - unless the defense and prosecuting attorneys can agree to get together?

By that time however, the alleged accused has now been victimized because of the scandal and libelous media coverage - life on hold, career ruined, held in his own home, limited to who he can see or talk to (which is infinitely better than being in jail). Even if (WHEN!) charges or dropped, or if it does go to trial, an acquittal or not guilty charge is returned the damage is already done. At that point, is there any remedy to penalize those who filed the charges out of spite?

What a mess. We appreciate the laws are there to protect the victim and due process, and that it isn't a perfect system. But in this case, the defendant is not an "alleged" person because they have already been tried in teh court of public opinion. In our, albeit limited to this incident, experience there has been absolutely no evidence of "innocent until proven guilty". He's imprisoned in his home, has no idea on when he'll hear the evidence against him, and when he can resume his once-promising career and his life.

Again, thanks to all who take the time to provide insight.

None of what you said has shown evidence of wrongdoing on the part of law enforcement officials. The press has a constitutional right to report on these matters.

The person has a lawyer. The lawyer will protect the defendant's rights. This matter will take time.

The police know when to provide Miranda warnings to suspects. I'm sure everything will be revealed in due course. I doubt they violated anyone's rights by questioning them without warning them. But, who doesn't know they don't have to speak with the police?

You have to be patient. The constitution stands guard. We all have rights.

Now, what is the underlying charge?
I suspect the person tried to talk their way out if it. Most people make that fatal mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[*]Can someone be hauled off in handcuffs from their home without being told why (other than a search warrant which he did not get to see - one of his roomates was shown it, but not allowed to read it)?

Absolutely, yes.

[*]Can they be physically detained for that kind of time without being told why, and then subsequently mirandized?

As soon as he was hauled off in handcuffs he was under arrest. There is no requirement to be advised of rights at the time of arrest.

[*]Is there a limit, i.e. 90 days, that the prosecution team has to present evidence to the grand jury?

Hmm... there is probably a deadline if they want to submit something to the current grand jury, but they could wait for the next grand jury if they needed. The statute of limitations depends upon the crime committed.

[*]If the evidence isn't presented in whatever that time frame is, do the charges get dismissed?

It isn't about the evidence... it is about when formal charges are filed. Evidence could still be obtained after charges are filed. If this is a felony offense then they probably have 3-5 years to file charges from the time of the offense.

[*]To date, this family member and the attorney have not been presented with the evidence used to execute the search warrant and the arrest. As we understand it, that doesn't have to be disclosed to them at the grand jury hearing either?

What matters is that the information was brought to a judge and the judge determined there was probable cause to issue a warrant. If the matter should ever get in to court then some information may be revealed. It sounds as if the investigation is still ongoing though and something is hinged upon the grand jury findings, so don't expect to get anything yet.

[*]That basically means that any exculpatory evidence they have can't/won't be presented until a formal trial is convened?!

No... the attorney could obtain information through the discovery process. Depending upon the circumstances and any ongoing investigation, you may just have to wait awhile before that info is available.

[*]That would mean that if there is any evidence that would likely dismiss the charges, there wouldn't be any opportunity to present it nor to plan for an offense based on whatever the prosecution is holding until it goes to trial - unless the defense and prosecuting attorneys can agree to get together?

Again, the information will come in due time. It seems you are too far ahead.

At that point, is there any remedy to penalize those who filed the charges out of spite?

Only if you can prove it was only out of spite. If the person believed the allegations to be true then no. A judge was convinced there was probable cause for a warrant, so I would venture to say that any plans to retaliate against someone that made an accusation would likely fail.

He's imprisoned in his home, has no idea on when he'll hear the evidence against him, and when he can resume his once-promising career and his life.

He will hear the evidence against him in court. Until that time he has been released on bail and can resume his normal routine immediately... unless there are court restrictions set as terms of bail.

Thanks to Army Judge and Mighty Moose for prompt replies. It may not be what we wanted to hear, but the info is more than what we had previously, and that in itself is a blessing.

what nonsense. a person can be punished without due process, and you didn't tell how long they can take away your liberty before you are actually charged. In Colorado people I know have been charged thirty five days after arrest, even though state law requires charges e filed in seventy two hours. Your answer smacks of arrogance.(shut up and trust us) What nonsense. how about a legal answer?

Michael Hudson said:
what nonsense. a person can be punished without due process, and you didn't tell how long they can take away your liberty before you are actually charged. In Colorado people I know have been charged thirty five days after arrest, even though state law requires charges e filed in seventy two hours. Your answer smacks of arrogance.(shut up and trust us) What nonsense. how about a legal answer?

The answer I gave was based on the law. The problem is perception. Due process has been severely curtailed in this country. Due process dies a little more as stupid citizens allow their rights to be taken for their alleged security. Or, because some of this nation's sheeple want FREE health care. What has any 20th century US government ever given it's people but lies and taxes?

What due process exists as you get stripped search and are forced to remove your shoes to board an airplane or enter a courthouse?

Is it due process when the rights of border invaders and terrorists are preferred over those of this country's citizens?

I've practiced law for decades and saw this coming when governments routinely towed your car because you parked it on the street your taxes funded! Due process has cancer and is on death watch. Most citizens assisted in her brutal detention and painful torture. I'm surprised you even mention her name, despite that fact that you don't know what she is or what she does!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my, I didn't mean to stir up a debate. I was just trying to better understand what is reasonable to expect for my nephew, again since we have never had a reason to be imbroiled in a legal action. Intellectually, I understand that the process is intended to preserve some degree of equity in the process, and by and large is there to insulate (I think protect may be a stretch) the victim.

It sounds like the system is plodding along a not unexpected - although frustrating - course. I appreciate your responses though.

Army Judge, I'm sorry I didn't answer your question previously. The young man is a 24 yr old student who was interning part-time at a school (not a teacher). He met a young lady at local college who said she was a student there. They dated for a few months, he found out her real age (she was a hs senior who was enrolled in post-secondary classes) and was not yet 18. He broke it off, she stalked him a little while afterwards, he continued to avoid her. He was dating someone else and got arrested about 2 mo after he last saw her. She was living with someone else (not family) and dating two other guys during that time - one that she also charged w/ sexual assault. Uncertain what came of those charges. Messy, devastating, life-altering. He doesn't deny he dated her. He is adamant - and family members and roommates confirm - that she led them to believe she was a college student.

Answering your last question Army Judge

I'm so sorry - missed that last point as well. No, he didn't talk his way out of it. Politely answered the questions that were asked and offered information appropriately. The detective actually commented on that to his mother and father. He didn't believe he had anything to hide so he was, as I mentioned, appropriate.

Was he nervous, scared, etc. Absolutely. Perhaps that came through though since it is a more palpable feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back