Naturalization, Citizenship dual citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly

Question on Dual citizenship. My daughter has a friend who was born in Canada. His dad is a US citizen. His mom I am not sure if she is Canadian citizen or American. The "friend" was born in Canada while they were visiting or vacationing with relatives. He is 19 years old and supposedly is trying to get his Us citizenship. I say that because his dad id US citizenship he should have dual citizenship. Supposedly the "friend" is not allowed back in Canada and there is a court battle to get US citizenship. I don't have all the details. I have read the post about the citizen born abroad. I think he is filling my daughter's head full of BS. I think the only reason he can't go back to Canada is maybe there is a criminal record and that may be why he is having problems getting US citizenship. God knows we have enough of our own criminals here. He says he can't get a job. He can't leave the state he is in. He has a Social Security cards and a state id. I have filled out many I9 forms and the is all he needs to get a job in the US. By the way, I believe he has lived his entire life in the US. Any info would help. Thank you, Holly :confused:

Let's try to shed some light onto this:

If his parents both were US citizens at the time he was born he most probably is a US citizen, too.

If his dad was American and his mother only Canadian and they were married, he most probably is a dual citizen.

If he was born in Canada and his mother was only Canadian and not married to his father at the time of his birth, and the father was American it gets a little trickier. He might only be a Canadian citizen. But he could also be an American citizen. It depends on the details in that case.

Canada basically has a very similar citizenship law to the U.S. So if he was born in Canada he might be a Canadian citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back