Dual Citizenship U.K. and U.S

Sb3857

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I am trying to clarify if I currently have dual citizenship, or must apply for it. Here are my circumstances. I was born in 1962 in the United Kingdom, of a British mother, and an American father who was with the Air Force. My birth certificate was issued by the American consulate. I lived in England until I was 11 years old, and then moved to the United States. I did not apply for English citizenship upon turning 18. I am now 56 years old, have lived in the United States since moving here in 1973, and I am married with three sons. My questions are; must I officially apply for English citizenship, or is it automatically given to me due to my English parentage as well as my location of birth? Also, are my three sons eligible for English citizenship by descent? Does my spouse have any rights to citizenship? Thank you for all of your help.

I could answer your questions if you were Canadian, but I'm not sure if it works the same for the UK. But I'll tell you who can answer them and that's the British Consulate in Chicago (the Consulate in Minneapolis is temporarily closed). When I had similar questions the Consulate was extremely helpful. Give them a call.

Back