Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI drunk driver, crashed into two cars, not willing to pay the owners of all three cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

missstacey

a friend of mine took my car while he was drunk and didnt tell me. he crashed the car into two other cars and now he isnt paying for any of the cars. what should i do?

a friend of mine took my car while he was drunk and didnt tell me. he crashed the car into two other cars and now he isnt paying for any of the cars. what should i do?

Have him prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Report him as having STOLEN your car, because that is what he did.

Some might call it unauthorized use.

Your insurance will make things right between all of the victims and go after the car thief.

Why do you call this person a friend?

A friend wouldn't have done this!

Is your insurance paying anything on any of the vehicles?

You and the owners of the other vehicles need to sue him and be involved with the proceedings regarding his DUI.

Your insurance should cover your own vehicle, and the other owners will have to use their own insurance as well.

Anyone that is out anything needs to go after the driver of the car- and he likely does not have the money to cover all the deductibles... so hopefully he has some property with some value.

well i want him to be hit with serious consequences for his actions, so is there any way that i can take him to court? i had the insurance hold off paying for my car because i want him to have to pay.

but the problem with reporting my car stolen is that he says that he asked permission first, and since we had been at a bar and i had been drinking as well, im sure he could easily say that i was too drunk to remember that he asked permission.. correct?

missstacey said:
but the problem with reporting my car stolen is that he says that he asked permission first, and since we had been at a bar and i had been drinking as well, im sure he could easily say that i was too drunk to remember that he asked permission.. correct?

He won't pay you.

You can sue him, but come on, bums like that never pay their way.

As far as him saying you gave him permission, so what.

If you never gave him permission, he can say whatever he wants.

In the end, it's his word against yours.

If you wait too long, you'll be stuck with a wrecked car.

The other victims can sue you.

He was driving your car.

They don't have to sue him.

You do know they can choose to sue him or you.

If they go after you, unless you're very wealthy, that means they'll go after your insurance.

That's why I wouldn't wait.

If he had any money, he wouldn't be stealing YOUR car.

File a police report, before you're stuck with the entire bill.

You are correct... trying to report the car stolen will get you nowhere at this point.

If you pay your deductible then you can sue your "friend" to recover that loss. Your insurance company may be willing to handle the matter of pursuing him for damages. Holding off on paying the deductible isn't really going to do anything other than delay the repair of your car.

One of the best ways to be involved with this is to get in touch with the district attorney regarding the DUI (assuming he was actually arrested for that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back