Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Drug Trafficking Through The Mail

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Hey all, I just wanted to give a possible scenario and see what people think. So Someone orders an ounce of marijuana online from a black-market dealer who is located in a different state. So the question is if the package gets intercepted by authorities what could they do? Even if it had the person's full name and address that's not really enough to prove that they ordered it. Anyone could have ordered it and sent it to that house using that name so what could the cops charge the receiver with? Now it would obviously be a totally different story if the person received the package rather than it getting intercepted. Just a question and yes I know shipping drugs in the mail is a very serious crime and this is just a scenario I haven't actually done this. Thanks for any comments!

So the question is if the package gets intercepted by authorities what could they do?

The thing you FEAR is the thing they can do, arrest you, perhaps indict you, take you to court, make your life difficult as you're prosecuted for "drug trafficking", or worse.

Marijuana is ILLEGAL in many states, and ILLEGAL at the federal level.

If you enjoy yoru freedom and a stress free life, JUST SAY NO.
Now it would obviously be a totally different story if the person received the package rather than it getting intercepted.

Another mistaken thought.

If the authorities intercept the package the outcome for YOU would be just as disastrous.
I know shipping drugs in the mail is a very serious crime and this is just a scenario I haven't actually done this.

To be very clear, YOU wouldn't be shipping it.

The supposed hypothetical you posited had another dummy shipping the illegal substance to you.

Drugs are illegal, be smart and stay fee, leave drugs to other crash test dummies.

One final comment, OP.

The authorities also monitor internet sites and often make contact with people who post about illicit/illegal activities.

Your IP is very easy for the authorities to determine who you are and where you are located.

The thing you FEAR is the thing they can do, arrest you, perhaps indict you, take you to court, make your life difficult as you're prosecuted for "drug trafficking", or worse.

Marijuana is ILLEGAL in many states, and ILLEGAL at the federal level.

If you enjoy yoru freedom and a stress free life, JUST SAY NO.

Another mistaken thought.

If the authorities intercept the package the outcome for YOU would be just as disastrous.

To be very clear, YOU wouldn't be shipping it.

The supposed hypothetical you posited had another dummy shipping the illegal substance to you.

Drugs are illegal, be smart and stay fee, leave drugs to other crash test dummies.

One final comment, OP.

The authorities also monitor internet sites and often make contact with people who post about illicit/illegal activities.

Your IP is very easy for the authorities to determine who you are and where you are located.

Thanks for the reply! I was just wondering what could they do if the intercept it? If they didn't have any computer evidence and the only thing they had to go on was this package with my name and address on it what could they do?

If they didn't have any computer evidence and the only thing they had to go on was this package with my name and address on it what could they do?

I've already told you what the authorities can do.

Have you forgotten (or chosen to ignore) that the authorities would also contact the shipper???

The authorities would also scrutinize your sources of income, your computer(s), mobile devices, cell phones, bank accounts, credit cards, and they'll find something LINKING you to the shipper.

The authorities sometimes allow a person to get two or three shipments, BEFORE pouncing on the dummy.

In fact, some black market shippers are AUTHORITIES searching for dummies who desire to get nabbed.

Meanwhile, some black market shippers take the dummy's money and send the dummy a picture of the drug (or send NOTHING at all).

Thanks for the reply! I was just wondering what could they do if the intercept it? If they didn't have any computer evidence and the only thing they had to go on was this package with my name and address on it what could they do?
They are not likely to intercept it...The DEA will allow the shipment to continue on to your home and they will arrest you about 15 min's after you open the package and are rolling a big doobie filled with Blueberry Kush. The Agents in whatever state the idiot lives that shipped the kush will arrest him as well.

Good news is, you guys can share a cell at Fed Pen!

Last edited:
Anyone could have ordered it and sent it to that house using that name so what could the cops charge the receiver with?

That depends on all the evidence the government has. The name and address on the package would be part of that evidence. One can infer that the sender wouldn't send the drugs to just some random person. There would instead be a reason for sending it to that particular person. If that person did not order it, why then were the drugs being sent there? Of course the government would want more evidence to nail down that the person on the address knew the drugs were being shipped there, which they might get in a number of ways. They might get a statement from the sender, for example, confirming the addressee ordered it. They might find correspondence or other documents confirming the order. In short, there are a lot of different possibilities of what the state could do to get a good case against the person ordering the drugs. So a person ordering drugs should not get too comfortable that they'd avoid prosecution and conviction simply by claiming they had no idea that drugs were being sent to them.

So Someone orders an ounce of marijuana online from a black-market dealer who is located in a different state. So the question is if the package gets intercepted by authorities what could they do?

The authorities could do any number of dozens of different things, including arresting the buyer and seller.

Even if it had the person's full name and address that's not really enough to prove that they ordered it. Anyone could have ordered it and sent it to that house using that name so what could the cops charge the receiver with?

Maybe so, but, even if we don't make reasonable inferences (as discussed in "Tax Counsel's" response) don't you think the seller would roll on the buyer (to say nothing of what the seller's records might show)?

Back