Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Drug charge + false info + fleeing scene :(

mi12345

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
So this situation occured a few days ago and it involves several poor choices I made due to panicking and not thinking it through. An acquaintance and myself planned on smoking a blunt (a cigar that is cleared out with marijuana put in its place) so we went to a gas station near my university (but off campus) to pick up cigar wraps. I had about 3 grams of marijuana with me in a smellproof bag, and I was riding in the acquaintances car. I went inside the gas station and purchased 2 cigar wraps, and walked back out to his car. I got in and he waited there for a minute (not sure why) but in the meantime I pulled the cigar which only had tobacco in it out to look at it and smell it. A few moments later, a guy in plain clothes with a badge was knocking on the window on my side and prompted me to roll it down. I attempted to do so, but it wasn't working. He continued knocking, and finally opened my door himself. He said that he saw me with the cigar in my hand, and said that it looked like a blunt and asked if we had weed with us. My acquaintance was ready to throw me under the bus from very early on, even though he had planned on smoking with me. He said we had nothing on us and that the officer could search the car. I started freaking out because the kid obviously knew I had weed on me and was ready to screw me over, plus the weed charges are harsh in the state of NC. The officer asked me my name, and I made one up off the top of my head. He then told me to get out of the car and asked to pat me down, which I said was fine. He found the bag I had with the weed in it, and at this point his partner in a different car rolled up and watched us while he searched the car. I waited there for a second, and when they were distracted I took off and ran probably a half mile away, they yelled at me but did not pursue. At this point the acquaintance said that the officers told him to call me or they would put out a warrant for my arrest. After this, the officer asked him for my number, which he gave to him. At this point the officer called me twice, I didnt answer either. I'm assuming that they then went to the school directory with my phone number, because the next call I got was from my mom who said the officer called her and that I needed to go back right away. I then called the officer, who said to come back towards the gas station. I walked back and met them in a parking lot near there. I tried to be very polite and respectful, and just explained that I panicked and made a mistake. While he threw a lip of tobacco in (very professional) he wrote me 2 citations (both misdemeanors), plus I got a student conduct violation from my university. Other crucial details include that they were not actual police officers, but a part of the ABC unit that is tasked with patrolling ABC liquor stores in the area. Also both of their cars were completely unmarked. My family is planning on hiring an attorney and fighting the case in court, and I am wondering if I have a realistic chance of getting it thrown out. Ive researched it pretty much nonstop, and the things I think could work in my favor are
A) Emptied out cigar wraps/loose tobacco is not probable cause by itself, and what I had was a full cigar filled only with tobacco
B) The State of North Carolina has an ordinance at work to reduce the power and jurisdiction of these ABC officers
C) When the officer was on the phone with my mom she asked how he got her number, and he replied "we have our ways" so he was beating around the bush. I have a feeling that it is frowned upon/illegal for them to go to the school records to get my information
D) I did not think officers were allowed to just open a car door without permission
E) They used scare tactics with both me and the other kid to try and get information out of us

This is my first ever criminal charge, so I will likely have an option of a class to at least get the drug charges off. I'm devastated that a dumb decision 2 weeks into my freshman year of college could cost me my future and career. I appreciate any input or help anyone can provide. Thanks.

A. True, assuming you are old enough to legally purchase and possess tobacco products. While this is not "probable cause" to believe you were committing a crime, the officers can likely make an argument of "reasonable suspicion" based on their observations and experience. After all... they were right.

B. If you want to provide the text of the "ordinance" you refer to maybe we can assess what applies here. Ordinances are typically local, specific to the city or county.

C. You apparently do not know how they got your number, but the odds of it being "illegal" to obtain it are pretty much non-existent.

D. You thought wrong. If the police have reasonable suspicion to detain you they can take reasonable measures to gain access to you and secure you for their safety.

E. That is an effective means to get things accomplished. It is not illegal or improper.

You goofed when you ran away. You may have goofed again when you came back. You probably goofed even more by trying to explain yourself.

Nothing you describe here sounds improper by the officers. Yes, ABC are "actual police officers". They have the authority to do exactly what they did.

It seems to me you were likely set up by your "friend". Having been taken to that location where ABC just happened to be watching, then he just happened to linger long enough, and he was eager to cooperate... I think your friend sold you out. I could be wrong... but it seems likely.

You don't have much to fight here. Dismissal of the case is unlikely. What is more likely with good legal counsel is minimizing the damage and getting an outcome that does not leave you with a criminal record.

I appreciate any input or help anyone can provide.

Plead NOT guilty, avail yourself of your RIGHT to remain silent, ask the judge IF you qualify for a public defender, don't replicate in other places what you foolishly did here - spilling your guts, yammering away; SILENCE is your friend.

No one knows what will happen, but most know that yammering, blabbing, spilling the beans serve no one but the prosecutor.

You are innocent until the state proves your guilt, or you plead guilty.

I suggest you abandon all desire to fool with illegal drugs, or any desire to abuse legal drugs.

Drugs and drug abuse ruin lives.

If you can't stop puffing on vegetable material, get help.

Did you know that drug abuse convictions could ruin your ability to receive financial aid?

What you did isn't petty.

The officers of your state's ABC are indeed PEACE OFFICERS.

They tend to focus on one thing, but that doesn't preclude them from focusing on others who break state and federal laws.

There are no "odor" proof bags.

A. True, assuming you are old enough to legally purchase and possess tobacco products. While this is not "probable cause" to believe you were committing a crime, the officers can likely make an argument of "reasonable suspicion" based on their observations and experience. After all... they were right.

B. If you want to provide the text of the "ordinance" you refer to maybe we can assess what applies here. Ordinances are typically local, specific to the city or county.

C. You apparently do not know how they got your number, but the odds of it being "illegal" to obtain it are pretty much non-existent.

D. You thought wrong. If the police have reasonable suspicion to detain you they can take reasonable measures to gain access to you and secure you for their safety.

E. That is an effective means to get things accomplished. It is not illegal or improper.

You goofed when you ran away. You may have goofed again when you came back. You probably goofed even more by trying to explain yourself.

Nothing you describe here sounds improper by the officers. Yes, ABC are "actual police officers". They have the authority to do exactly what they did.

It seems to me you were likely set up by your "friend". Having been taken to that location where ABC just happened to be watching, then he just happened to linger long enough, and he was eager to cooperate... I think your friend sold you out. I could be wrong... but it seems likely.

You don't have much to fight here. Dismissal of the case is unlikely. What is more likely with good legal counsel is minimizing the damage and getting an outcome that does not leave you with a criminal record.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am very confident returning after the call was not a goof, as they already had all of my information and the alternative would've been them pulling me out of class and taking me to jail. Also it was not a set up, cops just post up outside that gas station and try to bust kids. Just a case of a coward who was quick to rat me out to save his own ass.

Back