Driving Mom Crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharond

My jurisdiction is: MD

Don and my Mom lived together in her home for 35 years. He was an alcoholic, didn't contribute to the rent, utilities, etc. His daughter lives out of state and visited perhaps 15-20 times during that time. My Mom took care of him after major surgery (she's 83 years old) and his daughter never came to see him. When she did come, it seemed all she was interested in was getting anything she could. She found a ring in a cup in the kitchen that my Mom had bought for him. She said she wanted it and my Mom said no because she bought it for him. The next day when the daughter left, the ring and a silver dollar that was also in the cup were missing. My Mom felt betrayed and violated as she had welcomed this woman into her home. When she called the daughter, she said she just took it to have it cleaned and would return it. Well, in the meantime, her father died and it's been hell ever since. She gave my Mom a list of things of her father's that she wanted. My Mom got them together and gave them to her. She now is asking for other items and my mother doesn't want to give her anything until the ring is returned. What rights does this woman have? There was no will, my mother was the beneficiary on his insurance policy and bank account. She leaves very angry messages on my mother's voice mail and it's upsetting her to the point that I'm concerned about her health. Does next of kin have the right to receive any items she wants--even if purchased for the household? Thank you for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back