Driver Damaged Property at my Business and Drove Away, No Contact or Updates since

mw174620

Jurisdiction
Texas
Approximately 3 months ago, a driver drove their SUV over the curb and onto a section of artificial turf I have installed in front of my business. There is a tree in the middle of this area of turf, and the driver proceeded to drive their car into the tree, I am assuming at a fairly slow speed, and then once the car was contacting the tree, they proceeded to spin out their tires on the turf until they had eaten two tire wide marks, through the turf and into the soil beneath, thereby ruining the turf. I was not at the business at the time, but a contractor that was got a picture of the car and the license plate. The car then backed up and drove off. The police were called and came out and started an investigation and the replacement cost has been quoted at upwards of $3-4K.

However, it has been 3 months now and nothing has happened. The detective stated he made contact with the driver and that the driver was going to reach out to my business to work out getting it replaced, and no contact has been made.

The main reason for my post is that I have the license plate and want to know the legality in Texas of looking up someone's contact info from their plate number and contacting them regarding a situation such as this. I just want to get my damaged property repaired, and if the driver is not willing to do such, then I will have no choice but to get a lawyer involved.

We had a Ring installed but it was not recording at the time. Later that night when it was recording, a person who appears to be the daughter of the driver came by and can be clearly heard on her phone saying "They are going to want mom to pay to replace this." So my evidence is the person who was at my business, who witnessed it first hand and got the pictures of the vehicle and the plates. And then the assumed daughter coming by and looking at the damage the night of the accident, and saying that her mom was going to have to pay to replace it.

My goal is to hopefully reach out to her and just ask that she pay to replace it or I will contact a lawyer and have them proceed with any legal remedies available to my business.

It is not the police's job to get your money. There's no obligation that the driver voluntarily pursue reimbursement for you. You should have by now gotten the driver's insurance information, submit a claim. If not, you'll have to sue the driver.

File a claim with your insurance and let them deal with it.

Unfortunately, the standard property insurance form does not cover trees, shrubs or plants for vehicle damage. Proprietary forms may do so but likely have fairly low limits for the coverage so that the insured would only receive a fraction of his repair cost. OP will have to read his policy to determine if it's worthwhile filing a claim with his insurance.

Hmm... I'm not sure an artificial lawn would qualify as trees/shrubs.
I agree this should have been handled or at least attempted to handle through insurance months ago.
If a police report was made them contact info for the other party may be available by getting a copy off that report. Maybe also follow up with the officer to find out if that investigating is still active.

Back