DRC approval of solar panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoatyranny

I have a 2nd house in a gated community, and a new developement in Rancho Santa Fe, Ca since Jan. 2007. We did landscape and swimming pool built with solar panel which was installed around September, 2007 just for the swimming pool after I got approval without any specific condition or restrion. When "we asked" the final inspection of our landscape July, 2009 which passed with "full compliance" after minor corrections, The architect and a consultant working for the management company asked me how long we had the solar panel to which I answered around 2 years. 2-3 weeks later she sent me an e-mail saying solar panel was not in the approved plan. By then my pool contractor left pool business and I was not able to reach him to confirm of the approval as he was responsible for all the permits, per contract which was done July, 2007, and one e-mail from him in August 2007 indicated he was waiting for the approval from the management company( differt from management company of now)to proceed with his work which subsequently he did, and we had a letter form HOA with approval. As the solar panel was in original contract with pool contractor I never new it was not in the plan. I explained this to DRC and submitted whatever they asked of me. and I had meeting with DRC Nov. 2009. and even offered several time we will take the solar panel down to which they responded saying they were not asking to remove it, if I must do and asked just to order me. More than 4 months later, after requesting me to sbumit so many things such as pictures and drawings etc. ,which they told us, just for the documentation and to complete paper works for the later( I do have e-mails to confirm all of this, and lead us to believe all the paper works satisfied when we had a meeting(myself, my wife and my landscaper attended) with DRC, we got a notice of hearing with only " 5" mins. with "intention of fine". Until we called final inspection after which we were entitled 1000 dollars of refundable deposit which they have not paid back almost 5 months after they informed us that all of our landscape was approved, almost 2 years they never said anything about our solar panel which has been present in their plain view, and I also have a suspicion of conflict of interest as the consultant working for the management company very diligently tried for me to contact a particular solar company of whihc she stated many communities they manage use him and very good, and when we met DRC where they led us to believe all paper works were satisfied and only substantial disccusion during the meeting was what kind of solar panel ,rigid vs flexible about which they had wrong information per my research, and I provided with literatures showing their misinformations, they even tried to give a brochure of that "Particular solar company" whose name given by the consulatant working for the management comapany. What do I do in this situation? I need help. I sent an e-mail to Board of Directors stating they didn't give any remedy if there was any violation of unapproved installlation of solar panel which I think at most from a simple omisson by pool contractor as only thing in the guideline of 2007 when my solar was installed, was to incorporate into roofplan which would have been just one drawing and could not be denied per Civil Code of California and Solar Energy Right. I also offered taking down of my solar if needed and after more tha 4 months providing what they requested of me and numerous e-mail and telphone contacts and a special meeting wiht DRC., now they want to have hearing of "5" minutes with "intention of fine"

I will confess that I did not read your entire post because the lack of breaks in it makes it somewhat difficult to read. However, you might want to look up federal rules and guidelines about restrictions on solar panels. I'll poke around a bit after I answer this post to see if I can find anything but I think there are federal prohibitions on HOA's or anyone else prohibiting solar panels. I know for example that HOA's can not do much if anything about satellite dishes by federal law protecting them. With the big push some years ago for energy efficiency and alternative energies there may be protection for your solar panel from federal law. It's worth looking into.

Just another thought, contact the solar power installer. They should have information on how to defeat the HOA rules via federal law.

solar panel

Sorry my post was too long, and no break so it made hard to read.

The problem they are making is not the solar panel but using "approval from DRC for any modificaion of out side of the house. The pool contractor might have omitted to make note of solar panel at that time, 2007, and it is not in the approved plan(it would have been so easy as there was no specific regulation in 2007 and modified sometime in 2009 except submitting roofplan), again that was more than 2 years ago, and pool contractor who was responsible for all permits per contract, left the business of pool and I can not reach him.

I did comply as best as I could in timely and diligent manner during last 4-5 months whatever they asked of me, and even offered of taking it down if I must.

I met with DRC Nov. 2009, explained, and I trusted they understood because they told me all documents were in order.

It all stemed from the employee of management company working for the DRC, and she kept trying to refer me to one particular solar company which I didn't do it because there was no logic in doing that( I have e-mails to back up that accusation) I asked her to provide the answer from her company whether she or her company has any direct or indirect relationship, such as referal fees or any entertainment etc. with this solar comany and I have not recieved any reply yet.

So it appears to me they are looking for any reason to give me hard time for not using that solar company, and they know they couldn't refuse solar panel and using now this approval issue which they didn't know or care for 2 years until I asked of final inspection and they have to return our deposit and now want to collect "fine" using that simple, innocent and minor omission of wht they could not have refused per California Civil Code.

Do you think Doctrin of Laches can be applied here as they never said anything past 2 years until I asked for final inspection of our landscape with return of our refundable deposit.

I forgot to thank you and I posted a follow up to your kind reply. I hope you can give me further advice after you read my follow up post. Sincere appreciation.

Sorry I have been gone for some time. I have been working on a lengthy appeal and unable to spend much time here.

My first thought when I read your second post is that you may beat this issue because it pre-existed their regulation. If you can prove when it was installed, even if it was not properly applied for, it should be approved according to the regulations in place at the time of installation. Find your bill where it was installed.

The Doctrine of Latches is close but not correct. Its almost an ex post factos civil matter. In other words they can not enforce a new code on you for a pre-existing structure. I would attack it from that point of view. Prove that it was there before the new rule was enacted and you may be exempt from it's affects.

Solar Generator in your Real Estate

I want also to experience in getting a real estate with different solar panel in my pool. Can you help me know what should I do to have that? wwwsunpowerportcom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back